+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the support and advice, ladies. Just have to go through the motions now I guess. Am sure it will be fine, I just worry about bubs. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a scan today to check on bubs because of the GD. Everything looks great! Measuring 5 days beind, so no big baby! Yet!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SurferGalGC For This Useful Post:

Gypsy37  (12-01-2017),hopefull29  (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news @SurferGalGC!! Hope everything continues nice and smoothly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies, hope you're all travelling well. I found out today I have gestational diabetes. I was absolutely gob smacked and a little devastated to be honest. I've got my head around it now. I'm super ****ed off with my OB. I had my GTT 2 weeks ago and only today I got an email telling me! An email, not even a phone call!! I'm due to see her tomorrow so maybe it would have been better if she just waited an extra day. Not sure if it's just the pregnancy hormones but I'm more upset about the ob doing this than the diagnosis.
    I'm booked in with the diabetes educator tomorrow also.
    So ladies with GD, how many times a day do you test? Have you gone low carb too? I've read so much on google today!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @hopefull29 wow! I would be super annoyed too! My test is on Monday and my OB appointment isn't till about 3 weeks after. I would expect they would give me a call earlier but now maybe I might just call and follow up a few days later. How are you feeling? Any symptoms of GD? Great idea meeting with an educator! I'm sure you'll develop a good plan that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Positivity thanks Hun, helps to know you'd be annoyed too and I wasn't being unreasonable. I'd definitely recommend calling after a few days to check your results. I'll be following everything up from now on. I feel fine actually, no symptoms at all but dr google says most don't have symptoms. The diet changes won't bother me, pre pregnancy I was no sugar and really low carb anyway. I did let a few things creep back into my diet when I was feeling unwell with MS. Good luck on Monday! Hope you enjoy your drink. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopefull you'll do a test before breaky and then 2 hrs after breaky, lunch and dinner - so four a day. It's not so bad!

You don't have to cut out carbs, just be conscious of your portion control when eating them. The diabetes education will give you lots of good tips!

My midwife took her sweet time in letting me know as well. I hope she delivers babies better than she does the "administrative" side of things haha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SurferGalGC For This Useful Post:

hopefull29  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SurferGalGC thanks Hun. The testing doesn't really seem too bad at all actually. Just hoping I can keep my levels under control. We did a test one at the clinic before lunch and it was 4.7, then 2 hours after my lunch I was at 5.4 so I'm pretty happy about that.
    My results showed my fasting level was 5.1 and 1 hour was 10.3, my 2 hour was in normal range so I'm not overly concerned. The educator told me they don't really worry about the 1 hour results just the fasting and the 2 hours.
    I hope your midwife is better at delivering babies too!
    How is everything else going for you? I can't believe we're only like 10 weeks away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies with GD what do you snack on? I've never been a "snacker" so struggling for ideas. Both the ob and the diabetes educator have told me I must snack 2x a day. This morning I had some almonds and a banana and this afternoon I'm planning on making a capsicum dip and some carrot sticks. Any other ideas for GD friendly snacks? I can't eat gluten so I think it's limiting me. Educator recommended dry biscuits and cheese, but all the GF biscuits are high in starch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @hopefull29 your test levels don't sound bad at all! I think mine were fasting 4.3 then the second two were both over 10.

My fasting and breaky levels are usually a little too good and I find I get the shakes a little if I don't eat a mid-morning snack straight after the 2hr test.

I've only had one bad test over 10 since finding out about the GD. I got 10.3 after having some hot cross buns - I thought they would be just like raisin toast haha. Apparently not.

Other than that, I've had the odd test of about 7.2 after dinner but only when I've been naughty and had something I knew I shouldn't. The first time I got a 7.3 I felt soooo bad!!!

My go-to snacks have been carrot, capsicum, cucumber, boiled egg, small handful of nuts, piece of fruit, celery and peanut butter, cottage cheese, strawberries and natural yoghurt (sometimes with Carmans muesli). I have a quarter strength cappuccino every couple of days and that doesn't impact my levels at all. This morning I even had half a little Nutella donut from a cafe and still managed to stay under.

My midwife said I could have those Skinny Cow ice creams as a treat but I'm not super fussed about ice cream.

Not sure if I mentioned to you but - drink lots and lots of water!! Especially if you've had a treat. I find this flushes out the sugar.