+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @hopefull29 The session went well today. Not that much new information really as I had done a fair bit of googling last week. She gave me my levels to stick by which are <5.0 first thing in the morning and then <6.7 two hours after main meals. Pretty similar to what you guys had said so wasnt too surprised. I think the biggest issue will be working all the meals and testing around my work schedule which changes and is a bit unpredictable! I think I will just have to plan day to day and set a whole lot of reminders on my phone! I can totally see myself forgetting to test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clucky14 Wow you are getting very close now! How exciting! I have been sleeping pretty well and am dreading the point at which that wont be the case anymore! Hopefully you are maybe able to have some nana naps throughout the day instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @clucky14 how exciting. It'll be here before you know it! I'm starting to struggle with sleep too. I'm fine until about 2:30am then I'm wide awake until about 5:30 but on a work day I'm up at 6. I used the be the best sleeper so I'm really struggling. But I guess I better get used to it because I'm pretty sure my days of solid full nights sleep are over for a while.
    @Positivity glad the session went well. Levels are basically the same as my targets. I find the biggest issue is timing meals with testing. It's particularly hard with work. I set a timer on my phone for exactly 2 hours as soon as I've finished my meal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @hopefull29 it's scary the first time you go over hey! Quite sure my first reading over was a 7.3 as well. After I had a pork taco for dinner at a restaurant. I felt sooo guilty. Pretty sure it's not that bad though, especially as we can explain it. I think if you get readings like that frequently and from normal meals, then we should be concerned.

Also, I hear you on the struggling to sleep bit!! This is the second time in a week that I haven't been able to get back to sleep in the early hours of the morning after a loo visit.
    @Positivity good stuff! It's strange that our target levels are all different. It does get difficult to test 2 hrs after every meal. I've just given myself a day off where I didn't worry about testing at all. It was refreshing!

So my midwife is a bit of a worry when it comes to admin stuff.. I really hope she delivers babies better than she organises appts and referrals and everything else. Random things like - forgetting to tell me that our second appt would be at home rather than the hospital (didn't find out until I was in the hospital waiting room and she called to say she was running late), bringing her puppy to an appt at my house (it did a poo in my dining room), telling me the complete wrong wing of the hospital for my GD appts (she was away for Christmas at the time so I couldn't even call to ask where I was meant to be, three different hospital departments later, I made it to the first appt), not putting in a referral for my 34wk scan (after our appt 3wks ago!!).

Oh, and then she calls me out of the blue today to say "so I know you were really worried about your last scan because the sonographer said your baby's head was measuring too small.. just calling to let you know that I've had a closer look at your results (after four wks!!) and it's really nothing to worry about".

Okayy.. thanks.. no idea what she was talking about as the sonographer hadn't said anything of the sort, but hey! Now I'm worried ha!

Argg! She's lovely and I'm sure she'll be perfect on the day but, for my first time, it's not very reassuring. Do you guys reckon I could/should make a separate appt with an obstetrician just for a thorough check up and review of previous scans?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SurferGalGC yep I was so disappointed with myself for going over. I did ask my educator at my initial appointment if I was to have a high reading here and there if it was anything to be worried about. She said only if it's happening frequently. So you're right, if we can explain it then nothing to worry about as long as we don't keep on eating those foods that give us a spike.
    Omg I can't believe your midwife dramas! I'm sure delivering babies is her passion and you've got nothing to worry about there. I also can't believe she bought her dog to your house. WTF! I'm a dog lover but would still find that a bit strange. Maybe she had your scan results mixed up if the sonographer hasn't said anything to you? When is your next scan? Maybe you can ask them then.
    I'd probably make an appointment with an ob if it were me just for my own reassurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SurferGalGC wow you midwife sounds super unorganised! I cant believe she bought her dog to your place either. That is pretty odd. I'm guessing the organisation thing could be due to high caseload?? Very weird about the scan results. Do you have another scan soon?
    @hopefull29 I have used you timer trick a few times this week and it is really good. I have found the timings particularly challenging with my schedule, although mostly it the test 2 hours after lunch that is the main issue and then trying to fit in all the snacks which i am really not used to.

So I guess this week was a bit of a experiment. I had all the food recommendations that I followed but I also wanted to test out a few foods that I would typically have. In particular, I often take a frozen healthy choice mean to work at least once a week for convenience. While they are definitely not completely outside the diet guidelines, I was still interested in how it would go due to the more processed nature. But all was fine and levels were well below the cut off so happy that I still have that option.

I did seem to have an issue with my morning (fasting) levels though. So I was told below 5 and so far my levels this week have been 4.5, 5.3, 5.0, and 4.9. The 5 and 5.3 seem odd given that my level 2 hours after breakfast was lower than these! Interested to see what my OB says about this. Hoping it isnt indicative of a bigger problem down the line. Did your educators mention this at all? All my other levels during the day were always fine (usually in the 4s or 5s).

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Positivity my fasting levels always only just scrape in at high 4's or 5.0 and I've had a 5.1. I find this really odd too. Especially given my levels 2 hours after dinner are normally lower than my fasting. How can they go up after not eating any extra!? Apparently the fasting levels have absolutely nothing to do with your meal levels. Your body needs to work harder to produce the insulin over night. My educator said it's quite common in GD to need a night time insulin injection but she would only put me on night time insulin if my fasting levels consistently went above 5.1 and even if they were sitting 5.1-5.3 most days she would most likely still leave it but if they were higher than she would consider it. That's great you've found your normal meals seem ok with your levels.
    I've been noticing my normal morning smoothie is starting to send me a little higher than they should- I'm getting into the high 5 to low 6's after a smoothie. Possibly too much fruit and not enough protein. Struggling with different breakfast ideas now.

How is everyone else feeling? We have our birth class today. I'm excited about it, I don't think DH is really looking to it though I've pre warned him we will most likely watch a labour video and he isn't too impressed haha told him he better get used to it!
    Bubba has been getting the hiccups quite a bit this week, feels awesome. I think bubs is now sitting quite low too. I'm no longer getting kicks to the ribs. Do feel more punches to the ovaries though lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefull29 View Post
    @SurferGalGC yep I was so disappointed with myself for going over. I did ask my educator at my initial appointment if I was to have a high reading here and there if it was anything to be worried about. She said only if it's happening frequently. So you're right, if we can explain it then nothing to worry about as long as we don't keep on eating those foods that give us a spike.
    Omg I can't believe your midwife dramas! I'm sure delivering babies is her passion and you've got nothing to worry about there. I also can't believe she bought her dog to your house. WTF! I'm a dog lover but would still find that a bit strange. Maybe she had your scan results mixed up if the sonographer hasn't said anything to you? When is your next scan? Maybe you can ask them then.
    I'd probably make an appointment with an ob if it were me just for my own reassurance.
    So frustrating so my 34wk growth scan is now booked for 37wks. Can you believe it! The hospital is blaming my midwife, my midwife is blaming the hospital..

The good news is that I don't think it matters anyway because the GD doesn't seem like it's affecting bub at all. At my appt the other day the senior dr said I only have to test every other day from now and that I won't need to come in for anymore diabetes appts. He said if anybody questions that they can call him directly and he gave me his business card.

Trying to stay optimistic about my midwife haha. She is very lovely and softly spoken so I picture the birth being really pleasant

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SurferGalGC omg how frustrating for you. I hate not being able to get answers and people just blaming each other. It's really not fair on you.
    Can you get a scan done elsewhere? That's awesome you only have to test every 2nd day now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @hopefull29 I really hope to avoid insulin injections if I can! After all the IVF injections and finger pricking too! Although if it is necessary then of course I'll do it but hoping that it will be ok. I have an appointment with my OB on Monday so we'll see what she says. Hopefully she is a bit flexible like your educator. I also went to my first antenatal class today. We had 1 hour with a physio and then the midwife spoke for 2 hours about breastfeeding. Apparently next week we talk about labour. How did your class go?
    @SurferGalGC Great news about your GD! He must be pretty confident everything is under control if you dont have to test every day and dont need anymore appointments! Sorry to hear about your scan though! How frustrating! Hopefully your midwife is much better in labour then with admin tasks!