+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe a better way to explain it is they are learning all the things the Australian Curriculum dictates but in a transdisciplinary way. For example: My year 7 Son just completed an assessment that involved working in teams and coming up with a sustainable idea that the school needs and can implement. This involved Science, Math, Business, Graphic Design and Marketing plus some other subject areas depending on what they did. It's real life learning. They had to research, cost, market and present the idea with sound reason.

There are different parts of the IB. PYP and Middle years are different to the IB Diploma program a PP has mentioned
    Last edited by Beljane; 09-12-2016 at 21:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    @Elijahs Mum there are public schools in SA who offer IB. Eg. http://www.gihs.sa.edu.au/__files/f/...chure_2015.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's great! hopefully more will follow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Are you deciding where to send the kids in Adelaide and therefore where you live back here?

IB in my mind is more of a decision for high school. You also get an IB score (different to ATAR) which helps you get into international universities should they wish to study abroad. Also at high school level it's more of an all rounder based curriculum. You HAVE TO choose 1 science subject, 1 maths subject, 1 humanities subject, 1 English subject and 1 other (which I can't remember). So it's not really tailored for kids who have strengths in just 1 or 2 of those areas such as Maths and Science or English and humanities.

At the end of the day it's not too dissimilar from regular school, it doesn't differ as much as say a Montessori or Steiner School or Home School etc.
    IB graduates also get preferred entry into Australian universities and some can skip first year courses ( depending on the course) our school offers IB, HSC and TAFE for year 11 and 12 as yes the IB is tougher and may not suit all kids and career paths ( you have to do a language and meet community services standards) but it is also really beneficial I think for primary school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Are you deciding where to send the kids in Adelaide and therefore where you live back here?

IB in my mind is more of a decision for high school. You also get an IB score (different to ATAR) which helps you get into international universities should they wish to study abroad. Also at high school level it's more of an all rounder based curriculum. You HAVE TO choose 1 science subject, 1 maths subject, 1 humanities subject, 1 English subject and 1 other (which I can't remember). So it's not really tailored for kids who have strengths in just 1 or 2 of those areas such as Maths and Science or English and humanities.

At the end of the day it's not too dissimilar from regular school, it doesn't differ as much as say a Montessori or Steiner School or Home School etc.
    I don't think it is something just for high school.

We are looking at 2 x private schools and 2 public schools. Finding it overwhelming mainly for support for DS. I am finding most of these schools offer a bit more. My kids attend Montessori so far since they were 4 months old and our daycare teacher said this would be best for my kids so that's why I started researching and got overwhelmed HAHAHA!

We have name down at 2 private & will look at 2 public once home but unsure of zoning requirements so annoying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    IB graduates also get preferred entry into Australian universities and some can skip first year courses ( depending on the course) our school offers IB, HSC and TAFE for year 11 and 12 as yes the IB is tougher and may not suit all kids and career paths ( you have to do a language and meet community services standards) but it is also really beneficial I think for primary school
    This is what I'm leaning too. Our kids are so bright not saying that to be like 'ohhh my kids bright' but dd is bored as bat ****. I'm worried she will be bored at kindy 2 x week at the community kindy. We will see how we go.

I am a little annoyed I can't find more places with mandarin though. Most here offer Indonesian or Japanese. Sigh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Different schooling

This will help with the Mandarin Schools.

https://confucius.adelaide.edu.au/sc...inese/primary/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    But what I am trying to say is the standard curriculum is a part of it and the difference is the way it is taught not what is taught.

My kids are in no way mature and have thrived at school. I am not sure if you are confusing IB with something else? The way you are describing it is not my experience at all or maybe it's just our school?
    I'm not confusing it, I looked into it because a local school near us offers it and we were considering it. Perhaps most of the info I read was more relevant to the high school program; I wasn't sure if DD could cope with the interdisciplinary/ inquiry based style at such a young age.

To be clear I'm not saying it's a bad system of education at all, just that it doesn't necessarily make a school better because they offer it. But if it's an option it's definitely worth looking into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    this must be old as the school website i have visited mostly say japanese eg belair ps