+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Failure to thrive troopers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    I like that....but your first sentence made me start thinking...
    My girl is just stuck on this particular weight, it won't go up. Dr said she might need growth hormones. That would be worrying.
    Am I missing something? Why would anyone subject their kids to injections if they are just little and crap eaters?!?

The doctors were considering it for me but mum said no. I'm fine!!! I shudder to think how I would be if my body had been altered by injected hormones.....

ETA: dd1 went almost a year between 18 months or so without gaining anything. But I had stopped weighing her at that point anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not considering it, the paed suggested it. Who knows what these things do to the body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Failure to thrive troopers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    I'm not considering it, the paed suggested it. Who knows what these things do to the body.
    Sorry, not saying you are. Just surprised it's been suggested. I understand 30 odd years ago but not these days!
    Particularly as there is a link with that and cancer!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-12-2016 at 06:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I get what it's saying but not sure I get the point you are wanting to get across? (Having a baby brain moment). Are you saying just keep offering and don't stress? Lol
    Yes. Easier said than done I know. But also the point where it says they will grow to the size they're meant to be. Being fussy doesn't 'stunt' their growth like you asked, everyone is the size and shape they are for a reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (10-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had two FTT babies...the first was monitored closely, second one I didn't worry about anywhere near as much as they had the exact same growth pattern from birth. My first ftt baby was watched more closely due to other health issues. That child is now a preteen, and sits on the 25th percentile for weight, but 75th percentile for height. They are also extremely fit and musculy, so I have no doubt that their weight would be less if they weren't so musculy.
    My second ftt baby I haven't weighed in forever...but at 7 years age they weighed 19kg.
    As their paed said 'this is genetics at play here, so lets just let them be healthy skinny kids.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped attending MCHN when all I got was criticised about my sons weight and lack of !! Just because a child doesn't fit into the catergory of normal for weight doesn't mean they are failing .. everyone has different metabolisms
    It took me many years to accept that DS is just fussy.

No one would believe me if I told you what he eats and doesn't eat. He's 21 and eats like he's 3 ! It's him and I've accepted that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    With so much concern about obesity these days, if our kids don't have medical issues causing low weight, there's really nothing to worry about with their weight. Even if it is frustrating when they don't eat and they're in clothes made for babies when their toddlers, toddler sizes when they're in school etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Am I missing something? Why would anyone subject their kids to injections if they are just little and crap eaters?!?

The doctors were considering it for me but mum said no. I'm fine!!! I shudder to think how I would be if my body had been altered by injected hormones.....

ETA: dd1 went almost a year between 18 months or so without gaining anything. But I had stopped weighing her at that point anyway.
    I have been trying to get growth hormone for my daughter.
    There are added benefits to growth hormone in addition to height.
    It has been shown to improve brain function as well.
    It's very difficult to get growth hormone - as it's very expensive so eligibility is very strict.
    My dd had growth hormone studies done and although she doesn't produce as much growth hormone as she should as she is not totally deficient she isn't eligible. There is another criteria but she's not met that either. I'm hoping she does though - although it would mean daily injections until she's about 14...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Milk is the best way to fatten up a baby right? Early solids won't help?
    Sorry it's the opposite. In the very early months DD was Ftt.

The paediatric dietitian recommended feeding at 4months. She was premie so 3 months adjusted. We have PHI and it was easy to access this service easier because ofPHI.

High calorie food. Mash potato with real butter, add cream etc. make it as high cal as you can. Make it a little sloppy, sweet potato done the same. Purée banana. Purée pumpkin. oats blended up till purée made with cream instead of milk. Custards.

She said weetbix but dd hated it only ever got two spoons into her in her life. Avocado forget it!!!

As she aged up I added purée beans. Peas etc. puréed mango calypso type.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think technically my kids may have been FTT... Not entirely sure because I tried not to pay too much attention to weight.

My kids were born at about 95th and 98th percentile, and are now at 15th and 20th percentile respectively. One has an enormous appetite and one is very fussy.

My daughter gained zero weight from 10 to 22 months. 9.8 kilos the whole time, but has put on 5 kilos in the 2.5 years since then. She's still a bit on the smaller side, but some kids have to be. Our kids never stood a chance of being big anyway, given their genetics.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-12-2016)