+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our school does the primary years IB program ( international baccalaureate) the level k book he just finished before school ended we thought was quite hard for kindy - It was 24 pages - I took a photo of the first page to send to my mum - it was called "surf to success"
    IMG_1481195879.635191.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default school report brag thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Our school does the primary years IB program ( international baccalaureate) the level k book he just finished before school ended we thought was quite hard for kindy - It was 24 pages - I took a photo of the first page to send to my mum - it was called "surf to success"
    Attachment 86982
    Gosh. My son would not be able to read that. The meaning would get lost on him. He still likes reading books with pictures. Whilst he is above for reading, he could not do that. The vocabulary is way too tricky. And if he could read that, I would check he could comprehend it. Words like resin, fibreglass and polystyrene. Wow?!?!?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 08-12-2016 at 21:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    I am super proud of how DS has coped through a truckload of adversity this year. He has had 3 DHS workers, been removed from home by force, seen me removed from home more than once by police/Cat team and me being away from home for over 4 months of the year while his case has been decided between my parents and a friend. Despite this he has earned 2 scholarships for high school next year (including one he didn't apply for) and earn a place in SEAL (accelerated learning program) at the school of his choice). From what his teacher has told me I'm expecting an excellent report when it comes
    Congratulations @pointless1 ...your boy is a credit to you, to have achieved so much during such a tough year just shows how well you have raised him to this point...and indeed how much he needs you to keep doing that. Keep chugging, my friend, so you can see what this amazing child achieves!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

kiwimum890  (08-12-2016),misho  (09-12-2016),SuperGranny  (09-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If she's 24 reading recovery level or PM level then that's very good

ETA - is it a public school?

I remember you. I think you used to live near me.
    It is a public school.
    I don't know how many words her readers have but they generally have 7 to 10 chapters.

I remember you too I live in the Jervis Bay area (although did a stint in Ballarat for four years).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJZK View Post
    It is a public school.
    I don't know how many words her readers have but they generally have 7 to 10 chapters.

I remember you too I live in the Jervis Bay area (although did a stint in Ballarat for four years).
    Chapters is good. It must be level 24. Awesome!

I'm still near where you used to live

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

JJZK  (08-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chapters is good. It must be level 24. Awesome!
    She is doing great and loves to learn. I really hope we can keep her engaged in learning for many years to come.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZK View Post
    She is doing great and loves to learn. I really hope we can keep her engaged in learning for many years to come.
    That is fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh. My son would not be able to read that. The meaning would get lost on him. He still likes reading books with pictures. Whilst he is above for reading, he could not do that. The vocabulary is way too tricky. And if he could read that, I would check he could comprehend it. Words like resin and polystyrene. Wow?!?!?
    He had trouble with some of the big words - They learnt the THRASS method which I found seemed to make it easy to sound out words so was able to say words like resin and orbital sander but obviously not polystyrene!! His teacher told us to always ask questions after every chapter to make sure they were understanding what they were reading but I noticed that last level were a lot tougher and was a lot more draining so instead of reading a book every night we only did 2 chapters

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    He had trouble with some of the big words - They learnt the THRASS method which I found seemed to make it easy to sound out words so was able to say words like resin and orbital sander but obviously not polystyrene!! His teacher told us to always ask questions after every chapter to make sure they were understanding what they were reading but I noticed that last level were a lot tougher and was a lot more draining so instead of reading a book every night we only did 2 chapters
    Yes, completely different to the way reading is taught at my children's school. They are taught to read for meaning first and foremost so that chapter book would be instantly lost on my son because he wouldn't be able to construct any meaning from those words as they are just not in his vernacular.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our kids had another ripper year. DS was awarded top of year level for year 4. Both kids love school and learning and got great academic results.

What really matters to us though is how our kids conduct themselves and maintain relationships with others. They both got great comments in these areas. We are very proud.