+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,128
    Thanks
    1,429
    Thanked
    7,708
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My son only started school this year (NSW public school) and they don't give A-E for achievement in first year of school, only for effort. He got a 5 (outstanding) for effort in maths, PE, history and geography.

    He got a 4 (excellent) for effort in English, Creative Arts and Science & Technology.

    He got "above" for reading. He also got "above" for writing and one of the comments from his teacher was about him independently writing texts of "5 or more sentences for a range of purposes"

    My son is very good at maths and this is reflected in his report. He is above in all areas of number and "at" for other areas of maths.

    My year 2 girl got 4 (excellent) for effort for all subjects and above in some areas of maths. She is above in reading (I only know because I know her level and what the benchmark is) but they only give an overall mark for English.

    But most important for me is the general comment. Both my children had lovely comments in the general section about their manners, attitude and behaviours and that's what I am most proud of.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    JJZK  (08-12-2016)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,399
    Thanks
    737
    Thanked
    981
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default school report brag thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    I am super proud of how DS has coped through a truckload of adversity this year. He has had 3 DHS workers, been removed from home by force, seen me removed from home more than once by police/Cat team and me being away from home for over 4 months of the year while his case has been decided between my parents and a friend. Despite this he has earned 2 scholarships for high school next year (including one he didn't apply for) and earn a place in SEAL (accelerated learning program) at the school of his choice). From what his teacher has told me I'm expecting an excellent report when it comes
    See. There is something good - actually AMAZING - in your life!

    Super happy for you. Keep smiling and know that he needs you.

    Eta:
    Congratulations to your DS
    Last edited by misho; 08-12-2016 at 20:46.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (10-12-2016),kiwimum890  (08-12-2016),SuperGranny  (09-12-2016),yadot  (08-12-2016)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,663
    Thanks
    3,272
    Thanked
    6,610
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default school report brag thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My son only started school this year (NSW public school) and they don't give A-E for achievement in first year of school, only for effort. He got a 5 (outstanding) for effort in maths, PE, history and geography.

    He got a 4 (excellent) for effort in English, Creative Arts and Science & Technology.

    He got "above" for reading. He also got "above" for writing and one of the comments from his teacher was about him independently writing texts of "5 or more sentences for a range of purposes"

    My son is very good at maths and this is reflected in his report. He is above in all areas of number and "at" for other areas of maths.

    My year 2 girl got 4 (excellent) for effort for all subjects and above in some areas of maths. She is above in reading (I only know because I know her level and what the benchmark is) but they only give an overall mark for English.

    But most important for me is the general comment. Both my children had lovely comments in the general section about their manners, attitude and behaviours and that's what I am most proud of.
    @BigRedV - Can I ask what the "normal" range reading level is for kindy in NSW - im not sure if we have the same system as public schools do but DS is on level K? His teachers say that's above average but I don't know what a normal level is?

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked
    300
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default school report brag thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    @BigRedV - Can I ask what the "normal" range reading level is for kindy in NSW - im not sure if we have the same system as public schools do but DS is on level K? His teachers say that's above average but I don't know what a normal level is?
    Our readers in public system (NSW) are numbered as far as I know, although I have seen some of my daughter's readers with Kit on them instead of a number.
    Last edited by JJZK; 08-12-2016 at 20:56.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JJZK For This Useful Post:

    Elijahs Mum  (08-12-2016)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks
    2,185
    Thanked
    2,844
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZK View Post
    Our readers in public system (NSW) are numbered as far as I know, although I have seen some of my daughter's readers with Kit on them instead of a number.
    Vic are numbered too.

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,128
    Thanks
    1,429
    Thanked
    7,708
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default school report brag thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    @BigRedV - Can I ask what the "normal" range reading level is for kindy in NSW - im not sure if we have the same system as public schools do but DS is on level K? His teachers say that's above average but I don't know what a normal level is?
    I wish I could help but I have absolutely no idea what level K means.

    We go by numbers. Children should reach level 9 by the end of kindergarten according to the NSW literacy continuum. It says level 5-8 but most schools would aim for at least 9.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 08-12-2016 at 22:16.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,128
    Thanks
    1,429
    Thanked
    7,708
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This is a level 9 book. It has about 150 words. IMG_1481195106.737530.jpg

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Elijahs Mum  (08-12-2016),JJZK  (08-12-2016)

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked
    300
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I wish I could help but I have absolutely no idea what level K means.

    We go by numbers. Children should reach level 9 by the end of kindergarten according to the NSW literacy continuum. It says level 5-9 but most schools would aim for at least 9.
    I wonder if there is more than one reader program for schools in NSW to choose from? My daughter is on a level 24 so our school must have different levels.

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,128
    Thanks
    1,429
    Thanked
    7,708
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default school report brag thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    @BigRedV - Can I ask what the "normal" range reading level is for kindy in NSW - im not sure if we have the same system as public schools do but DS is on level K? His teachers say that's above average but I don't know what a normal level is?
    The NSW literacy continuum used to be searchable on google but now it's not.

    Here are some screenshots of cluster 4 markers on the continuum which is the expected level for the end of kindergarten. So children are expected to achieve this by end of kindergarten.

    IMG_1481195616.072412.jpg
    IMG_1481195627.052095.jpg
    IMG_1481195637.453250.jpg
    Last edited by BigRedV; 08-12-2016 at 22:16.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Elijahs Mum  (08-12-2016)

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,128
    Thanks
    1,429
    Thanked
    7,708
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default school report brag thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JJZK View Post
    I wonder if there is more than one reader program for schools in NSW to choose from? My daughter is on a level 24 so our school must have different levels.
    If she's 24 reading recovery level or PM level then that's very good

    ETA - is it a public school?

    I remember you. I think you used to live near me.


 

Similar Threads

  1. First time school starters 2017 chat thread!
    By Mod-Degrassi in forum School aged children
    Replies: 372
    Last Post: 30-03-2017, 11:27
  2. Old school swoons - fluff thread
    By Yoghurt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-07-2016, 11:13
  3. *Fluff Thread* School Holidays
    By Catzilla in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-12-2015, 10:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Little Kickers NSWLittle Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Bold and beautiful #4Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
I am... #20General Chat
IVF/FET April & May chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Night lights?Product Recommendations & Questions
WDYT: plastic surgery games for childrenGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›