+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What type of communication / assessment do you receive from your daycare centre?

My daughters daycare centre is great in terms of their level of care and attention to the kids, however we have noticed a drastic difference this year compared to previous years in terms of formal assessment against the Early Years Learning Framework. It is a large centre and is owned by a parent company who owns a number of this "brand" of centre.

In her first two years at the centre, we received a beautiful portfolio of her artwork and photos of her doing particular activities, and it aligned with certain outcomes from the EYLF, and they would then do a follow-up observation for things she showed an interest in and have photos or artwork from that. They'd send it home mid-year for us to review and bring back, then they'd give us the final version at the end of the year which included almost like a report card outlining whether they have met certain outcomes based on their age, or are still developing in that area.

This year, we have access to 'Storypark' which is how they share photos / videos / stories of children with parents. However with the introduction of this, we no longer get the portfolio, and although I followed up with the Room leader mid-year, haven't seen any kind of formal assessment. Initially they were linking the photos they posted with the learning outcomes but don't even do that anymore. I have sent her a message via Storypark last night, then an update today after I spoke to a friend who told me she gets monthly formal updates from her child's centre, so am still waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if I have unrealistic expectations. What kind of communication do you get about your child's progress?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What type of communication / assessment do you receive from your daycare centre?

I have no previous years to go off but our centre (again one of the big ones) uses Storypark too, I'm lucky to get a story/photo once a month? And there doesn't really seem to be any formal learning either?

I'm waiting to see what next year brings as currently she's only on one day but changing to two. All her carers seem lovely though and she's (mostly) happy to go, I figure play is more important and it'll change when she goes to school?
    Our dd's are the same age.... (turns 4 at end of jan).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our centre also uses Storypark and are good at daily updates with photos. Most of the daily updates are linked to the outcomes. They occasionally add in individual observations which are again linked to the outcomes.

Not sure whether we'll still get the portfolio at the end of the year yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Miss 2.5 goes to a Goodstart centre, and we also use Storypark. In the toddler room, I think they only do an observation and report on her with an activity of her interest once a month. We don't seem to have a paper portfolio any more. Each day, near the end of the day, they have pictures up on the noticeboard, and a short report of major activities they did that day. Occasionally it includes comments the kids were making as they were doing the activity. If we ask questions, they're happy to answer, but they don't really do a lot off their own bat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you're being unreasonable at all, that's a big change to go from so many links & examples to barely any. It sounds like they've lost a bit of that authenticity during the change over to Storypark.

DD's centre still does portfolios and they are available to view whenever we like - they're readily available near the entrance. Each day there is also a daily run down of what they did that day with photos and links to the EYLF. I really rely on these a lot, I wouldn't like to lose that at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I presume we have portfolios somewhere but have never seen it. The only communication we get is a weekly newsletter.

My kids have been to a few different centres and we generally get a portfolio home at the end of the year. That's it.