+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Time Mommy Problems

Hello everyone.

I just joined the bub hub to find some consolation for all the wrong things I do with my baby unintentionally and then find out that those things were so wrong..

Currently I just got to know that my nine month old should know how to sleep settle himself, also sleep through the night without breastfeed in between.

He used to wake up atleast 4 times in night.. and i thought he was just hungry. Today my nurse told me that no that's wrong and all he wants is a cuddle and comfort.

He lost his appetite and I kept blaming his teething but the nurse told me thats only because he fills his tummy up during the night with all the milk and so he doesn't prefer taking solids during the day.

I made myself make all his solid meals at home and even then he developed a sweet tooth and now refuses potatoes, avocados and anything that is plain in taste. I feel so guilty..

I just feel terrible. Like a failure.

Nurse told me to be strict and tell your baby who is the boss now.. and i need courage and stamina to do so.

If anyone here is in the same boat then please lets be a team and help each other out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't take everything CHNs say to heart, a lot of it differs from nurse to nurse and can sometimes just be an opinion rather than medical best practice.

It is 100% completely normal for babies to wake up for drinks during the night! My son has only just started sleeping through and he's turned one.

You know your baby and his cries, hun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't beat yourself up over one visit to the nurse. Many babies still wake needing a feed at that age, maybe 4 x a night is a bit much - you must be tired! Around that age I started offering my DD a drink of water & a cuddle when she woke, I still BF her if she wouldn't settle, but mostly she would settle down fine with a cuddle.
    Babies are fickle when it comes to food! Just keep offering & let Bub explore solids. Don't make a big deal if something gets rejected, I've been putting cucumber on my 2 year olds lunch plate every day and she's only just started eating it a few months ago! Annabel Karmel has some great recipes for babies mixing savoury/sweet in her weaning cookbook. Also have you looked into trying baby led weaning - you don't bother with purees, just give Bub finger food and let them go for it. There are a few BLW threads on the hub that are a wealth of information.
    You are doing a great job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there.
    My daughter is 8 months just and she still wakes up for at least one feed during the night. She has been on solid food since before 4 months and we do all her feeds at home too, thankfully she is a mad eater and refuses nothing. But feeding more during the night has not change her appetite in my personal opinion.
    I have had baby sitters look after her overnight and can get her to sleep all the way through without breastfeed, again with no lasting effects the next day. Sometimes though when I am tired and she cries rather than talking to get for longer than a few minutes I pop her on the breast, she falls asleep immediately with out even drinking. She startles awake often and will scream for even up to 5 minuets but can always be soothed back to sleep. I have a real problem with being lazy at night and still let her sleep in the bed with me sometimes.
    I wouldnt worry too much. It's really all up to you. I have a friend who was still giving breast through the night and her kid is 2 yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you please share some creative nice recipes that don't have sweet in them..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also thankyou so so much for all the replies.. feeling a little better now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter loves cous cous. But I just mush up whatever we are eating and she eats it. She likes eggs too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Things DD has never refused: scrambled egg (I put frozen spinach in it for veg), weetbix, sausages, meatballs, zucchini slice, corn, mashed potato, spaghetti bolognese (grate heaps of veg into it), shepherds pie (ditto for the veg). At 9 months I would give her a spoon & I would also have a spoon, she was using a spoon independently by 1. Maybe your Bub would like some more flavour in his food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm with other PP, please don't beat yourself up over what the CHN has said. I remember when I had DD1, I asked mine what is a recommended formula to use for my daughter she looked at me with disgust saying my child should never be FF. I said I can't get anything out when expressing so what is she meant to feed on when I'm working, she thought I should be a stay at home mum BF until DD1 was 5 .

Have you tried slow roasting some meats then adding them blended to his veggies?? My girls loved meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am starting from scratch now.. i am going to develop his tastebuds all over again..

Will give him anything but sweet. Yesterday I mushed up potatoes and cauliflower and then avocados and tomatoes which he refused but i kept trying..

Also last night out of 5 times he woke up i fed him 3 times and rocked him to sleep 2 times. My breasts well full and leaking so had to give it to him. He settled really well once he had drank milk probably because he hardly ate all day yesterday..