+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Gardens in Rentals

Hi we are renting a place with a huge 8meter 2 tier garden we can barely manage. We have been given notice to weed it and he will re inspect in 4 days. We just took over 2 and half hours to pull most of the weeds. The little fiddly ones are all over the place.

The garden beds consist of rocks, clay and a very hole ridden old old weed mat. I have tried the hand method, hoe, the hoe type contraption with spikes. And don't even mention a shovel it won't even break through in some places or go any further down than 2cm and thats with my full body weight on it 100kgs. And i have tried after a good week of rain too. no luck.

I have killed it with weed killer but the agency expects every little spindly weed out. It was never this way when we moved it. Obvious grass but they had used round up to kill it.

1) what would you do? or how would you tackle this situation.

2) do you have any tips on how to get rid of every weed?

We are busy working people taking care of one child and no grand parents or uncles or aunts that she could talk to whilst we are weeding. And we have been busy working like rented mules to afford to do IVF. So very time poor.

I have a vestibular condition and cannot do much all the time. Im also bloomin allergic to what Im pulling out huge red bumps and red arms itching like mad. Im in my 2ww atm so cannot use antihistamine.

My husband has a hernia so cannot help. The mowing of the lawns takes 2 1/2 hours. its rough going and slopes. Due to medical reasons we can no longer maintain the garden. We have tried to procure the services of all of our local gardening services with no luck they are fully booked.

We are asking the real estate agent at the end of our lease to let us go week to week until we find a smaller yard and garden. We were refused. I have just sent a letter asking for month to month, until we find another rental with a smaller garden and lawn.

Does anyone find this unreasonable?

And just a suggestion. If you ever considering a investment property may I suggest keep the garden to a minimum.

signed frustrated.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gardens in Rentals

I'd book a gardener, even for the new year & let them know you've had trouble with it and it's all you can do. We pay for our lawns to be mowed as we are both full time workers with 2 kids. it is the tenants responsibility to maintain the yards unless specified otherwise, and I'm assuming you knew the size of the yard when you rented so I think your recourse is fairly limited & the landlord isn't being unreasonable..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrlab View Post
    I'd book a gardener, even for the new year & let them know you've had trouble with it and it's all you can do. We pay for our lawns to be mowed as we are both full time workers with 2 kids. it is the tenants responsibility to maintain the yards unless specified otherwise, and I'm assuming you knew the size of the yard when you rented so I think your recourse is fairly limited & the landlord isn't being unreasonable..
    She's called all of them already but they are booked out.

OP do you have any friends/family that can help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When does your lease expire? Just start looking a few weeks before then and hopefully you will find a more suitable home, yes you are supposed to maintain it how it was when you first moved in, it sounds like it must have been pretty overgrown if they had to give you notice to fix it up and it's obviously too much so unless you pay a Gardner regularly to maintain it I think your better off moving as soon as you can

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    She's called all of them already but they are booked out.

OP do you have any friends/family that can help?
    I took that to assume they're booked out for the next month or so, hence why I said 'even for the New Year' as they only gave her 4 days to tidy it up.

Thanks
    Reviews

They are booked out till feb 2017!

No friends or family.

Next door has weeds galore. Patterson curse. Long grass in their garden worse than ours. Hardly ever mow grass can get to half a meter tall. Held by same rental agency???? Why are we targeted and not them.

The house across the road had weeds 1meter or more tall completely over grown!! Same agency why aren't they made to clean up theirs!

Ours is little fine weeds we poisoned them and was going to pull them but we gots call by our clinic to go to Sydney for IVF. And did not get the chance.
    Last edited by MysticFalls; 06-12-2016 at 21:37.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    You could try ask the RA if they can recommend a gardener. Every little weed sounds OTT to me...but I'm not sure how it was when you moved in. Try spraying it heaps...I had some luck at our place killing the annual weeds right before spring. They are so hard to get rid of once established.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there photos of the condition of the garden when you moved in, in your rental agreement?
    If you can find them you might be able to argue that you are maintaining the garden to the standard it was when you moved in?
    Have you tried gumtree or facebook for a gardener, or even find a high school kid/uni student going on holidays soon who might be interested in some cash to maintain the garden a bit? Would take some pressure off you?
    Put a flyer up at the local shops or an ad on gumtree?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you asked the realestate to recommend a gardener? They usually have them on hand!!

I would assume the owner of your property has complained about the state of the house and that's why you are being targeted and our neighbours with the same realestate are not!

Maybe advertise on gumtree some paid work, it's Christmas people might be looking for some extra cash!
    I am very empathetic to your situation however it is your responsibility to maintain the property, so I don't really find their requests unreasonable..

If you have made progress hopefully they can see that and give you an extended time frame to get the weeds under control?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you looked on gumtree for a gardener, there are lots of people who are looking for extra cash or work for themselves doing handy work.

I personally don't think they are being unreasonable, you knew the size of the garden when you applied for the house. And the other houses managed by the same agent, might have different owners who aren't too concerned about the garden being maintained.