+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default cholesteatoma surgery

I have suffered ear infections and vertigo and sinus problems all my life and always just given antibiotics (except once when my adenoids were removed) with no further investigating done by any gp. Over the weekend I woke up with yet another infection (whooshing sound deep in my ear, limited hearing and discharge all the usual stuff) so I went to the Dr and because of a emergency I had to see a different GP and she has found what she thinks to be a cholesteatoma behind my ear drum and is sending me off to a ent and said if she is right I will need surgery. My question is has anyone had this? What does the surgery entail? And what is the recovery period and pain levels afterward like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh gosh. Hope the surgery is able to help out. I know nothing about it but at least you have an answer. Shame they didn't find it many years ago for you though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Oh gosh. Hope the surgery is able to help out. I know nothing about it but at least you have an answer. Shame they didn't find it many years ago for you though.
    I know! She said she might be wrong it's just what it looks like with her little ear thingy but she is pretty certain and said the only treatment is surgery because they will continue to grow unless removed. So if it is and he can get me in for surgery early enough I might be in for a quiet Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have my fingers, toes and anything else I can cross for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this surgery 2 weeks ago. Its was fine. I had staples behind my ear where the cut was made. They didn't bother me, just a bit itchy when they were due to come out. My ear was packed with gauze for about 12 days. Not painful just felt a bit of pressure which i got use to really quickly. Couldn't really hear out of that ear while the pack was in but it didn't stop me from doing day to day activities. Honestly the pain from ear infections where a lot worse then the surgery discomfort. Over night stay in hospital and home with panadiene forte and slow release tramadol which i really didn't need. Was back at work after a week as the surgeon told me to take a week off. Probably 4-5 days and i was back to things. My husband was away the day i left hospital so i was looking after a 4 year old and 16 month old on my own with no real issues. I have pretty much had a grommets in my ear for 30 years so hoping this has done the trick.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lilywithme For This Useful Post:

loodle  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilywithme View Post
    I had this surgery 2 weeks ago. Its was fine. I had staples behind my ear where the cut was made. They didn't bother me, just a bit itchy when they were due to come out. My ear was packed with gauze for about 12 days. Not painful just felt a bit of pressure which i got use to really quickly. Couldn't really hear out of that ear while the pack was in but it didn't stop me from doing day to day activities. Honestly the pain from ear infections where a lot worse then the surgery discomfort. Over night stay in hospital and home with panadiene forte and slow release tramadol which i really didn't need. Was back at work after a week as the surgeon told me to take a week off. Probably 4-5 days and i was back to things. My husband was away the day i left hospital so i was looking after a 4 year old and 16 month old on my own with no real issues. I have pretty much had a grommets in my ear for 30 years so hoping this has done the trick.
    Thanks for your reply. I am hoping it helps with my constant ear infections. How are you feeling now? Can I ask roughly how long your surgery was? I keep reading different things

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel fine. My hearing is normal, i would say much better than before the surgery. Cant see were the surgery was done as it was behind my ear. No pain at all, i did gave another grommet put in because my surgeon felt better putting one back in. The surgery itself went for just under 3 hours but i had no issues with the anesthetic. Woke up with a bandaged around my head but that was taken off just before discharge. It sounds full on when you read about it, but for me it really wasn't that bad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilywithme For This Useful Post:

loodle  (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilywithme View Post
    I feel fine. My hearing is normal, i would say much better than before the surgery. Cant see were the surgery was done as it was behind my ear. No pain at all, i did gave another grommet put in because my surgeon felt better putting one back in. The surgery itself went for just under 3 hours but i had no issues with the anesthetic. Woke up with a bandaged around my head but that was taken off just before discharge. It sounds full on when you read about it, but for me it really wasn't that bad.
    That eases my mind a little, all the stuff I have read makes it all sound a bit scary and that it needs to be removed asap. How long after discovering yours did you have surgery?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could of had it the next week but i had back to back flights booked and you cant fly for 4 weeks after the surgery. So it was about 3 weeks after the decision was made to go ahead. As i said could of been done straight away but i didn't want to give up my booked flights