+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective Induction 39wks - positive experiences

Hi,

I'm a Mum of 2 children, pregnant with my 3rd and considering my birthing options.
    My OH works away (weekday and weekend flights, 2 per day, no overnight flights), we live away from family and friend support (4+hrs) and I have some anxiety around giving birth due to 2 previous PPH's.

I've had 2 vaginal deliveries, 1st was IOL due to baby having high medical needs and 2nd was spontaneous at 40+5 days.

I worry that i'm possibly risking my baby's health or going to cause a flow on effect of medical intervention but on the flip side, if I cant guarantee my OH to be home then i'm seriously considering an elective c-section - which comes with those same worries.

Would love to hear some positive experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was induced at 37+5 for medical reasons, but it was a fabulous birth! I had waters broken and then 1.5 hours to see if I would start labour on my own. Then they gave me a tiny bit of the drip to get it started. 1.5 hours later, with just the sterile water injections in my back, she flew out in the shower. Easy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ruby_Tuesday15 - i hope the lack of replies isn't a sign that it's not commonly done 😣

I'm so glad you had a positive experience.

I see my OB in early Jan so I will talk with him about the idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced at 39 weeks for "social" reasons which is pretty much elective.

It wasn't a very great experience for me, but I do have my beautiful boy and 3 weeks later I'm fully recovered. I can tell you my story if you want but it's up to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you public or private? I was private and OB was happy to induce me just before 40 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was booked in for an induction at 40 weeks. My private OB was happy to do so because I was so big and uncomfortable. My waters ended up breaking at 39+4. No labour after 36 hours meant I was induced anyway. 10 hours later my little boy arrived safely with minimal complications. In your situation I would ask to be induced. Of course there is are risks, I would talk to your OB and see how you go. All the best for a safe delivery!
    Last edited by ames1988; 21-12-2016 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @babymummatobe - would love to have some feedback. I think I worded my post wrong and was only hoping to hear positive experiences in terms of being told yes at 39wks for non medical reasons, not being told no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm private @twinklify - im seriously considering csection if I'm not able to be induced 39wks.
    I just cannot figure out a way for some kind of family or OH to be there at the drop of a hat.
    While I'm all for spontaneous deliveries and healthy babies I feel like I also have to consider how I will be if I'm alone and having my kids with me for 4hrs until family can be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My babies were 10lb 5oz and 9lb 3oz @ames1988 and I had awful pelvic issues with #2 so good sized babies is on my side.
    If of course there was any reason to suggest an induction wouldn't be a good idea I would opt out and have OH just stay home from work (would just mean 2wks less holiday leave for him once baby does arrive).

My 1st was induced, I had a 16hr labour but did deliver naturally. While I did find it longer and more intense than my 2nd spontaneous labour, I also had less post complications from the medications being used with induction - so with my last being a 4L PPH and 36hr ICU stay, it's another reason for me feeling more comfortable with being induced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try an induction. I cannot see why they will say no.

I will add my inductiom was pretty straight forward. It progressed well and all was well.

I will also add that my induction was not all that scary or full of intervention. Ultimately its up to you but I would ask for the induction.