+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New employee - concerns about her attitude

Hi

just seeking some feedback/opinions on this behaviour from a brand new employee in her very first week of employment with us....

background info:
    new employee is a "friend of a friend" - not exactly someone we knew well, but through the social circle knew of her
    in her mid 50's.
    has been unemployed for 2.5 years
    we offered her work in our small business (6 staff in total) on a casual basis

During her first week on the job this is what we have encountered:...

Constantly checking her mobile phone (even whilst someone is sitting with her trying to train her)
    Saying our systems are stupid
    not paying attention when being trained
    questioning everything, at times with sarcasm & eye rolling (however I understand questions can be a good thing if the attitude is right and its being asked genuinely without sarcasm involved)
    extremely slow - which is to be expected - however upon being given a simple task & asked to complete it Before morning tea break, new employee says "I'll resign" - which was prob a joke but is that the sort of thing anyone should even entertain saying within your first week?

These issues have now been addressed with her however I would've expected none of the above to happen if someone is genuinely interested & wanting a job?

Or am I expecting too much?

will be interesting to see what next week brings....
    Last edited by ThisIsLiving; 04-12-2016 at 14:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an issue kind of like this with one of the staff members I was training. There was "a talk", which basically came down to the company isn't there for her convenience or amusement/charity. If the job isn't for her then that's fine, it's time to move on to another place of employment.**

** I have very little (no) tolerance for that kind of thing. I'm busy enough without "begging" someone to do their work so i just don't. It's done (or they're actuallly making an effort to do it), or they need to rethink their employment with the company. If they're using it as a way to hide that they're overwhelmed with new ideas/the workload we discuss how they would like to approach that issue and go from there. If it's just an entitled attitude then it isn't tolerated.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (04-12-2016),rosey82  (04-12-2016),ThisIsLiving  (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does sound like a terrible attitude. Do you think maybe she is nervous & this is causing her to act inappropriately?
    The phone: it just needs to be policy that phones are left in your bag and only checked on breaks. End of story. In an emergency family should call the work phone.
    When training staff it never ceases to amaze me what needs to be said out loud. Things I take for granted new employees have absolutely no idea. I just think about myself as a 17 year old in my first job I needed everything spelled out to me as I had never been in a formal workplace. I am grateful to my first employer who took the time to train me well.
    Maybe take the attitude she's had a lengthy break from the workplace so assume nothing and start from scratch?
    Give her a couple weeks to settle down before pulling the plug. I assume she's on some sort of probation period so if it doesn't work out you can let her go?
    Must be awkward having to have the difficult conversation about attitude though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

ThisIsLiving  (04-12-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds frustrating!
    First I'd make sure that the expectations of the business are clear. Even if you know you have made them clear, make them clear again, write them down, refer her to any written policies and procedures that will help.

Address the mobile phone issue. Something like "new employee, we know that being contactable is important, however here, we expect your phone to be away except at break times" - or whatever the rule is at your work.

The eye rolling needs to be nipped in the bud. Next time you see it "new employee, please don't roll your eyes at me. I'm trying to make sure you get all the information you need to get your job done."

Deadlines, provided they're reasonable, are part of most jobs. She might think her "I'll resign" comment is a joke, but she's obviously not picking up on the culture in your workplace which is that those comments aren't ok.

Comments about your systems being stupid are also not cool. "New employee, when you're able to do the job with our systems, we'd be more than happy to hear your ideas on how we can ******line or create efficiencies. But for now, I need x, y, z"

Set a reasonable timeframe for her to learn key aspects of the role and if she isn't up to scratch by then, providing you can be sure she's had all the training you can give, let her go.

My experience tells me that generally, people you're unsure about in probation, particularly if there's a culture clash, tend to be people you're unsure about after that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-12-2016),ThisIsLiving  (04-12-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure why sT rea m was blocked out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    I'm not sure why sT rea m was blocked out!
    It's to do with all the forum spam we were getting with the links to live s.treamed sports.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (04-12-2016),TheGooch  (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ur not being unreasonable.

Give her a probation period at lower pay. Wen u finish probation, salary will be reviewed.

I don't have an issue with employees having phones on desks (I have mine out) but u need to still do ur job.

Her attitude sounds crap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

ThisIsLiving  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm casual, small employer, within a "probation" period. I wouldn't entertain ongoing options.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a big age gap between the new person and trainer? I have found this can often cause conflict.
    I would definetly see how this week goes, if attitude doesnt change perhaps she isnt the best fit for your company.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New employee - concerns about her attitude

I'm 43 and would never look at my phone constantly. I would try my hardest to learn new operating systems and certainly wouldn't joke about resigning in the first week! Omg where in the world does one find all of what you described as normal?

I would expect constant phone checking and this attitude from a 19yr old. Not someone who should know better.

Type up a contract of expected behaviour at work. Expected behaviour when training. And contract around phone use. And an expected outcomes list of what she should have completed by the end of 2weeks review it and tick any achievements. And any outstanding recheck with her what help she needs to complete it. Have her sign both. If it's still an issue give her a written warning date it have a witness keep it on file. Just to be safe if she hasn't shipped up or left give her two more written warnings.

If under 15employees you can terminate within 6 months with no ramifications.

If over 15 employees you can terminate within 12months with no ramifications.

If she was my employee I would do the above. Signed written contract and also an expectations and outcomes list with projected dates for when said task is achieved.

Perhaps there is a reason she has been unemployed.
    Last edited by MysticFalls; 05-12-2016 at 08:17.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-12-2016),ThisIsLiving  (05-12-2016)