ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm saying it should be a joint decision and if the parents can't agree then termination doesn't happen. It's is not allowing someone else to make the choice, it's about allowing the parents to make the choice.
    Can't see the downsides of forcing someone to do something they don't want to do? Running away? Self harm, suicide?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely, 100% agree that all parents should have the option to give up their individual parental rights and responsibilities. It is not in the interests of a child to force an unwilling adult to be involved in their life, even if only financially.

In my view it should be a government responsibility to ensure that all children are adequately provided for, and none fall through the cracks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Can't see the downsides of forcing someone to do something they don't want to do? Running away? Self harm, suicide?
    And the downsides of your unborn child who you dearly wanted being killed?

We clearly disagree and that's fine. As I said before, I'm not changing my view on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Until the day they learn how to take a baby out of a woman who wants a termination, and put it in the man who doesn't want to terminate to carry for the rest of the pregnancy, then the woman will always have the final say. It may not be "fair" but that's life unfortuantely. Life's not fair. The woman carries the baby, so she gets the final say.

I don't think anyone should be able to opt out financially once the decision has been made to keep the child, the childs rights are the most important once that decision has been made. Even if the father wanted a termination, as discussed above, not his body so not his choice unfortunately for him.

Everyone is always about fair this and fair that, but seriously, life just doesn't work that way. Yes I feel sad, very sad for any man who is in a situation out of his control, ESPECIALLY those who WANT to keep the child but don't get to make that decision.
    Would you say the same 'life's not fair statement' to those women in countries where abortion is illegal? Or if it was illegal in Australia?

I personally think it's too simplistic to write it off with such a simple statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can see both sides. It would stop women falling pregnant to trap men in a relationship, or those women who assure their partner they're on contraception when they're not.

But then I can see plenty of dead beats who see it as their get out of jail free card.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Nope I don't agree with it. Yes it can be construed as unfair that women get to choose whether they terminate or keep the child but men don't get to opt out financially. But ultimately it's about biology. Until men develop a womb that's how it is. While I'm undoubtedly pro-life for myself, I'm pro choice for others and the thought of forced pregnancy is revolting, particularly by the father. Where does that leave us?

As to the father's part. We all know women carry and birth babies. Truthfully, part of me feels it is unfair for the man that has a life terminated against his wishes. But what other option is there? The reality is that once a child is born it needs to be supported. Should the child be punished bc the mother can't/won't? All this leads to is more deadbeat behaviour of men with a form of buyer's remorse. What I always find ironic is the people who advocate men should be able to opt out are usually the ones whining about the same women collecting welfare and going on about 'my tax dollars'. Or often their husband's lol So if the man should be able to opt out, and she shouldn't collect welfare who feeds the child? Yes in a perfect world mum is a lawyer or doctor with an amazing support network of free day care. Sadly that's not reality. What we are left with is children being punished for their parents (and note I said plural, not just father) bad decisions.

Oh wouldn't it be nice to live in a high income bubble with a husband that supports you so you aren't a single parent.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think men have a right.

Just like women have a right to have an abortion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Would you say the same 'life's not fair statement' to those women in countries where abortion is illegal? Or if it was illegal in Australia?

I personally think it's too simplistic to write it off with such a simple statement.
    Actually abortion is illegal in some parts of Australia - eg Queensland.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm saying it should be a joint decision and if the parents can't agree then termination doesn't happen. It's is not allowing someone else to make the choice, it's about allowing the parents to make the choice.
    It's not a joint decision if the male partner has veto power over a decision the female partner makes about her own body. I get that it is a tough situation for men who may be willing and eager to parent a child but I don't support any circumstance where control over ones own body is removed.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty22 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (06-12-2016),Sally1981  (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What I always find ironic is the people who advocate men should be able to opt out are usually the ones whining about the same women collecting welfare and going on about 'my tax dollars'. Or often their husband's lol So if the man should be able to opt out, and she shouldn't collect welfare who feeds the child? Yes in a perfect world mum is a lawyer or doctor with an amazing support network of free day care. Sadly that's not reality.

Oh wouldn't it be nice to live in a high income bubble with a husband that supports you so you aren't a single parent.....
    I'm not 100% sure that I fully advocate for men to be able to opt out, but I do lean towards it in certain circumstances.

And I'm truly grateful that 'my tax dollars' go towards supporting those less fortunate. I'm grateful that we live in a country where the government provides support for low income families and single parents. My mother wouldn't have been able to put food on the table or keep a roof over our heads without it. My dream job is to work for a non-profit org that helps the disadvantaged, especially single parents and their children. Heck, if I could afford to just volunteer my time for free I would work every day in a job like that without a pay check! But unfortunately for me I don't live in a high income bubble with a husband that can support me solely on his income. In fact, we'll be relying on FTB to keep our heads above water until I can get back into the workforce...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast