+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Financial Abortion

In the instance of failed contraception, do you think men should have the right to financial abortion?

"What is a financial abortion?

A financial abortion (also known as a paper abortion or a statutory abort) would essentially enable men to cut all financial and emotional ties with a child in the early stages of pregnancy.

This means he would opt out of all rights, privileges and responsibilities of parenthood in a binding and not reversible decision, similar to sperm donors. But sperm donors' actions are only motivated by the possibility of creating a child without becoming a parent. No slap and tickle."

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-1...nthood/8049576

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This going to be an interesting thread full of debate. I'll give my comment later on I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to do some googling and find out more before commenting. So I'll read along for now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Who's fail? A condom breaking or the female's contraception? How would you prove it was the male's or female's contraception that didn't work?

Too many grey areas for me to agree this should be a thing. But in principle if both parties were in agreeance, I don't have any moral objections to this one.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-12-2016),Freyamum  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Who's fail? A condom breaking or the female's contraception? How would you prove it was the male's or female's contraception that didn't work?
    I suppose we can leave that part open to discussion

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'm okay with it.
    Women have the choice to terminate a pregnancy and then to adopt out as far in to the child's life as long as they want, whereas a man's choice ends with successful contraception.

To answer your question, @A-Squared I think that as long as there is some form of contraception (or his belief that there is) and they both understand that he has no desire to be a parent, financial abortion should be an option. How to prove that though, I don't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess my biggest thought is, it takes two to tango. We all know the risk of our chosen choice of contraception failing and it's a risk we take.
    But I guess I believe a man should never be able to tell a woman to have an abortion and it's her choice, do I also extend that same choice to a man who doesn't want to have a baby? I just don't know.

Personally, I wouldn't want a father involved who didn't want to be (I'm talking for me, this isn't a general statement, just me and my potential child). The strings attached to the weekly payments wouldn't be worth it if he 100% was not committed to raising that child with complete involvement, because children deserve that.

But, kids are bloody expensive! So I think of a man can opt for a financial abortion, the mother and child shouldn't suffer so does it mean increased govt payments? I don't know the answer.

Hard situation though. I have so many thoughts and they probably all contradict each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    But, kids are bloody expensive! So I think of a man can opt for a financial abortion, the mother and child shouldn't suffer so does it mean increased govt payments? I don't know the answer.
    If there is a cut off for men to opt out that still gives women the time to decide whether or not they are willing to parent alone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

kim85  (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion purely comes from experience. When I fell pregnant with my eldest, my ex suddenly turned really abusive (mentally, physically and emotionally). He attempted to "abort the baby" by attacking me. It was pretty clear he didn't want the baby. I told him that if he just leaves me the hell alone, I won't have him on the birth certificate (he had already said he was going to refuse), I won't claim for child support etc and in return he won't have anything to do with being the parent.
    He agreed.
    My child's birth certificate has no father listed and my current husband is the only father my child has ever known and it has all worked out far for the best.
    The pittance I would get off him in child support was absolutely worth sacrificing for me to have complete parental rights for my child.
    I think, depending on some variables, so long as both parties agree I can't see an issue.
    I do think it's unfair for some males also, because the woman does have some option to "abort her mistake" but men just get told "well you knew the risks". He isn't afforded the same opportunity to opt out like a female can, but he should absolutely NOT be able to coerce for an abortion so financial is the next best option.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't agree with this unless the mother agrees.

I also think that termination should be a joint decision and should require the fathers consent, not just the mothers.