ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Boys with long hair

So, DS1 is 6 and has decided he wants long hair. He is just at the stage where it won't tie up but gets in his eyes. How do I control it?

And also how do I stop the opinionated middle aged women at the supermarket telling me to cut it (yep, friend of mine) even when they know that he doesn't want it cut?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1480663955.139753.jpg

This is him and his 'rooster hair'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Great hair! Just be honest and say he wants it long and I respect that.

DS is 2 and still has fine baby hair that is getting long in sections and my dad has been telling me to cut his hair for almost a year but I refuse and he looks cute with long(ish) hair. He even pretty much yelled at me the other day to cut his hair. I swear he probably thinks he will 'turn gay' having long hair as long hair 'is for girls' and my dad is quite simply a homophobe! But anyway I digress. I just told him that DS is my son and DH and I will decide when we cut it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess it's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks good as it is!
    Another option is hair clips. I know a few boys who wear them

As for peoples' comments... my response would be "it's his hair, and he can decide". If they really pushed it I'd either tell them "It's not up for discussion!" or "Whilst we're on the subject of other peoples' hair, you need to cut yours" depending on how patient I was feeling.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-12-2016),Unschooling4  (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do I see some curl? I like long hair. DS has recently declared he wants long hair like me. I am inclined to leave it growing.

Anyway, a headband to keep it out of his eyes? You can get small plain ones. Otherwise does he have any kind of part? As you can just put hair clips/bobby pins to pin up the stray hairs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Do I see some curl? I like long hair. DS has recently declared he wants long hair like me. I am inclined to leave it growing.

Anyway, a headband to keep it out of his eyes? You can get small plain ones. Otherwise does he have any kind of part? As you can just put hair clips/bobby pins to pin up the stray hairs.
    Lots of curl!ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1480672003.733460.jpg

It's so thick and heavy. He has my hair unfortunately. He told me tonight he doesn't want clips or a head band. I might buy him some anyway and see if I can convince him.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Hmm..either cut a fringe or get him to brush/tuck it behind his ears?

Ds (almost 3) has long hair. I trim the front if it gets too long and annoys him. You can't stop opinionated people unfortunately. I try to avoid them (ie. Specific neighbours)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You won't stop people commenting or giving their opinions so either just walk away or have a stock standard response at the ready.

Our son has always had long hair so he is used to clips, headbands, buns, ponytails etc... so I am no help there sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ignore people. My DS2 (4) had hair halfway down his back.

Anyway when it was growing we tucked it behind his ears. Before it was long enough to do that used to do a braid - running along his hairline and tucked the end behind his ear.

Hair clips and hair bands if he will agree.

The big thing we did and still do when DS2 gets cross about brushing or putting it up (he wears a man bun now) is tell him he has to look after it or it gets cut. Long hair is a responsibility like everything else and that's the rule

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't even call that long, so weird that people comment. Three of our boys have longer hair and they never get comments from strangers (they're 9, 9 & 13yo). It's the current trend of that age. The 13yo's is long enough for a man bun using the top half of the hair (his is an inch above the collar). The two nine year olds have hair well past their ears and refuse to have it cut short.

I don't honestly care what people think. Our boys are old enough to choose their own hairstyles now, it's no longer up to us!