ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well first year out teachers might not be experienced but they are enthusiastic and energetic. I don't have a problem with it. Everyone needs to get experience.
    How much time do new teachers actually get to watch/join in /practice a lot on different classes before they go out on their own? ( I mean I'm assuming they do but how much?) Would the principal watch new teachers to make sure they are doing the right things ? I'm all for getting experience but as long as they know what they are doing - with DS starting school this year and watching what his teachers actually do I couldn't imagine a newbie doing what they did with all the different personalities and reading levels ( and we only had 19 in our class with a full time Aide)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First year out I was in grade 3/4 (year 4/5 in the U.K.).
    My preference is prep though so I've tried to head towards the younger ones since then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    How much time do new teachers actually get to watch/join in /practice a lot on different classes before they go out on their own? ( I mean I'm assuming they do but how much?) Would the principal watch new teachers to make sure they are doing the right things ? I'm all for getting experience but as long as they know what they are doing - with DS starting school this year and watching what his teachers actually do I couldn't imagine a newbie doing what they did with all the different personalities and reading levels ( and we only had 19 in our class with a full time Aide)
    They do placements too during uni so that's few hours? Correct me if I'm wrong. I know for special ed teaching one of my friends had 100 plus hours on top of full time uni!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lots. I completed my degree 18 years ago and my final prac was 6 weeks of teaching the entire time (like every minute). I had a 1/2 composite. This was before prep existed. It was a full on gig. Prior to that I'd been on 5 other prac stints. My other 4th year prac was 4 weeks of full time teaching. I did that placement in a one teacher rural school.

Many education degrees now have an internship as part of the last year of the degree (basically teaching for a term).

If someone has studied early childhood specifically then they would be perfect for prep. (I studied primary).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With a bachelor of education (4 year degree) you do 5 practicums over 4 years. Teaching is such a hands on/practical career that the uni education matches this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Question for primary teachers

I can only speak for NSW public schools but it is DEC policy that beginning teachers (first 2 years) receive additional funding and support such as a mentor.

Every class has different personalities and reading levels and other gaps between students get bigger as they progress through school. Plus behaviour management gets more difficult the older they get.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/...20070367.shtml
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-12-2016 at 10:30.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (02-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first year I was teaching prep. My school also try to avoid putting brand new teachers in the first or final grade (here that's prep or grade 7), but I was extremely confident and competent teaching prep, I was early childhood trained & worked with kids 0-5 throughout my degree & had lots of experience in preschool - so I didnt find it difficult at all & the school could see straight away that I was good in prep. I would be terrible in upper primary. It depends on the school how much support you have - TBH I needed less support in my first year than some of the 'experienced' teachers, but my principal keeps a close eye on all new teachers to see how they are going & how much support is needed as they go along. Some experienced teachers can still struggle with some basic aspects of teaching, where some new teachers can have a handle on it straight away. A lot depends on the personality of the teacher and the quality of their training.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (02-12-2016),Stretched  (02-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first year out I taught year 6. Loved that age group for the most part!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question for primary teachers

My first year out, I taught a Prep/1/2 multi-age class with 31 children in it! It was full on, but both the kids and I survived.
    A graduate teacher pretty much always has a mentor teacher and works with experienced teachers in the level s/he is working in. My son is in Prep this year and he has an experienced teacher, but the other Prep teacher is a graduate and she's FANTASTIC. I do emergency teaching at the school, so I have had the opportunity to work in her room and I can well and truly see that she's on top of everything and is doing fabulous things with all the kids.
    Just because the teacher is experienced, doesn't necessarily mean that s/he is a good teacher. I've worked with several 'experienced' teachers who weren't worth two cents and should have been in another career or retired!
    Last edited by siansmum; 02-12-2016 at 18:57.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (02-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    My first year out, I taught a Prep/1/2 multi-age class with 31 children in it! It was full on, but both the kids and I survived.
    A graduate teacher pretty much always has a mentor teacher and works with experienced teachers in the level s/he is working in. My son is in Prep this year and he has an experienced teacher, but the other Prep teacher is a graduate and she's FANTASTIC. I do emergency teaching at the school, so I have had the opportunity to work in her room and I can well and truly see that she's on top of everything and is doing fabulous things with all the kids.
    Just because the teacher is experienced, doesn't necessarily mean that s/he is a good teacher. I've worked with several 'experienced' teachers who weren't worth two cents and should have been in another career or retired!
    Agreed. Some 'experienced teachers' are absolutely awful. A beginning teacher doesn't necessarily mean a bad one.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katvee For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (02-12-2016),siansmum  (02-12-2016)