+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any toe walking tales?

My DS is 5 and has been walking on his tip toes since about 3 years old. He learned to walk a little late perhaps, around 17 months, but walked normally until 3 years old. He is a little slower and more cautious gross motor wise in comparison to peers, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. And both DH and I are fairly unathletic as well! He is still very active, runs a lot, no trouble moving around etc. he just constantly tip toes.
    Fine motor, academically, cognitively and socially he is right on track and excelling.

We started physio six months ago and were told he had short tendons in his ankles. We have done the stretches and exercises daily since then but he just seems to be getting worse.

I took him to another physio yesterday for a second opinion and she felt his tendons were now fine but believes he may have hyper mobility and gave him some special pants to wear and exercises.

But she also suggested a pead neurology consult to rule out mild cerebral palsy. Then I went home and made the mistake of googling and saw that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry - pressed send too soon!

Anyway upon googling I saw that toe walking can also be a sign on muscular dystrophy, particularly when they originally walked normally.

So now I am freaking out even though I know logically he is on track developmentally with everything else. Damn Dr Google.

I am just hoping for some stories of toe walking in kids and what the diagnosis/treatment was.

I honestly had no idea that this could be serious...I thought it was just an odd habit he had gotten into!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I toe walked when I was a kid. For a long long time. I only started walking at 14 months (normally) but according to my mum, by 2.5-3 years old I had started walking on my toes only. I had to do stretching exercises and I needed to wear orthotics in my shoes. One of my legs is slightly shorter than the other and I have 'flat feet', that's all.
    I was told if I always stuck to wearing flat shoes with orthotics, it would correct itself. Of course I didn't, I started wearing heels as soon as I started high school and only just started wearing flats again at 37 because I'm pregnant

But it has given me no grief all the way up to adulthood and there was nothing really 'wrong', I just can't touch my toes or sit with my legs straight out because it hurts along the front of my shin on my shorter leg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks HillDweller for your story! It sounds quite similar to DS (aside from the high heels ). He has flat feet too and we have been referred to a podiatrist for orthotics. It's great to hear a non terrifying story on the subject, and to hear it hasn't had a huge negative impact on your life

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toe walking can also be a sign of hip dysplasia. An x-ray will identify it