+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 41 week appointment today - should I have stretch & sweep?

I have my 41 week appointment today (40+6 with baby no. 1) and I'm wondering if I should have a stretch & sweep if they offer, any advice from personal experience?

I have been having 20-30 braxton hicks every day for the past week, often in waves of 5-10 in an hour, which now cause my whole pelvic floor to tighten. Have also had a few very mild period type cramps on and off for the past week but no show or sign of plug. Have had softer bowel movements but not diarrhoea. At my appointment last week I had an internal exam but I opted not to do a stretch & sweep as I was only 39+6 and felt it unnecessary. At that stage cervix was soft and 2cm in length but posterior and no dilation, baby was at -2 station. So I'm thinking that if things have progressed further this week then an S&S might be my opportunity to get things moving and potentially avoid an induction. I know it might not be successful but doesn't seem like there is any major risk in having it besides being quite painful and uncomfortable (which I know it will be based on my internal exam)

Also did your partner go with you to this appointment? It's at the maternity ward, not outpatient so thought it might be nice to have him there for support in case they do a scan and want to discuss induction but maybe unnecessary if it's like any of my other appointments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    FWIW, i found a S&S not much more painful than an internal exam. At 41 weeks, why not? Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's entirely up to you. Personal preference really. At 41 weeks they likely will discuss/book an induction though, so be prepared for that.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would, but I was impatient enough before being overdue, and I didn't find it painful. They won't be able to do one if your body isn't real anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you comfortable with it have another VE to see what your body has naturally done. I would then decide if a SS would help or if you think your progressing fine without it.

VE's and SS do have a risk of accidental rupture of membranes which then puts you on the clock to get baby out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I would at that far along, it might be what you need to avoid an induction . Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would at that gestation. I never had one but had internals and did not find them overly painful - just try and relax and breathe through it if you decide to do it.

As to your partner - as it is your first then I would try and have your partner there. Any decisions about inductions any scans etc can be made together.

My DH came to almost all appointments with number 1. With number 2 we already knew what we wanted and I was low risk etc etc so he only came to the scans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your input! After 2 hours of monitoring because baby was sleeping then wouldn't sit still, had my internal and midwife did a sweep because I'm 1cm dilated. Weirdest feeling and pretty sore but not too bad because think I was expecting the worst. The OB did a scan and said baby is basically swimming in amniotic fluid so they're very happy all is well and they've booked me in for an induction Monday evening just in case I am fed up by then, but said that if I change my mind I can call and come in for monitoring instead and if they're happy baby is still doing well then they'll push it out a day or two. She was so nice about the fact that I really want to avoid an induction unless absolutely necessary and said to just take it one day at a time and there's a fairly good chance baby will arrive before then anyway. Not holding my breath but feeling so relieved to have a positive update and feel like the sweep was a good way to help me feel like maybe there will be some progress in the next few days. Time will tell!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (01-12-2016),Lil Smurfy  (02-12-2016),M'LadyEm  (01-12-2016),twinklify  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well considering it's been over 24 hours and I have had no signs of any development, I think it's safe to say my sweep did not work unfortunately...At the most it may have progressed things without me knowing, but I still feel the same as I have for the past week, so I'm starting to feel like this little one is not making an appearance anytime soon!

Saw my osteo for acupuncture today, went for a long walk and now sipping on some raspberry leaf tea while bouncing on my exercise ball - here's hoping something works but I think I'll start preparing myself for an induction next week, at the least I'll be pleasantly surprised

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (02-12-2016)