+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Number of follicles

Hi all, I had a transvaginal ultrasound to look for possible endometriosis 20 months ago. I was just reading the letter and it said I had 4 follicles on one ovary and 5 on the other. Is that good or bad? All the stuff I am finding out says it is bad and I am flipping out a little.
    Thank you for your replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds quite "normal"! If you go through fertility treatment and have your ovaries stimulated then you could produce more but only those with pco naturally have an abundance of follicles each cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @readyforthis... I am not sure what the normal number of follicles are... but when I had my tests I was getting between 10 - 14 on both sides ... which they said was a 'good amount'. So I am not sure if 4-5 is good or bad, but the way I see it, as long as you release one egg it's ok? But like the previous lady said, you can have your ovaries stimulated to produce more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a scan yesterday to check my follicles and it came back with 20 on one side and 22 on the other, with 1 measuring 11m and all the others are around the 8mm mark. Checking in with my fertility doctor to see what he makes of my situation. I did do 5 days of clomid as it looked as though I wasn't ovulating but I feel it worked too good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the information I found online last night it seems my husband and I will need to go through IVF to conceive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by readyforthis View Post
    From the information I found online last night it seems my husband and I will need to go through IVF to conceive.
    Why is that do you think? Those follicle numbers sound fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you, I found information that said it if it was less than 9 in total there was less chance of conceiving on our own and that we need IVF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Number of follicles

Quote Originally Posted by readyforthis View Post
    Oh thank you, I found information that said it if it was less than 9 in total there was less chance of conceiving on our own and that we need IVF
    Best thing to do would be to have a cycle monitored by blood tests which can confirm if you are ovulating and what your hormone levels are. If this confirms normal ovulation there's a good chance you could conceive without intervention
    Also ultrasounds are not that accurate and the follicle numbers you have also can change month to month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry how many follicles you had. Our bodies produce multiple follicles each month, but only one matures to full size and is released... Except in rare cases where you might mature two (that's how fraternal twins happen) All the other follicles are 'wasted'. You sound totally normal to me, and at least you know everything is working as it should up there!