+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does toddler eat what you eat?

Hello,
    Our 18 month old is what I would call a fussy eater. She rejects foods that she hasn't even tried which drives us nuts and we're not sure what to do.
    There are foods we know she'll eat (olives are her favourite) but is it wrong of us to expect her to eat what we eat? Up until recently I was still making her 'baby food' (vegetables puréed with quinoa) but this has become so time consuming, it would just be easier if she ate what we ate.
    So tonight I sent her to bed without dinner because she refused to even try the roast vegetables that we had for dinner (which were delicious by the way).
    So do I stand my ground or give in and let her dictate what she eats all the time? It's only getting worse. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I try to have them eat a kid friendly version of what we're having but do have a few fail safe toddler meals on hand that I know are always accepted eg pasta with tuna & broccoli.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bezzy,
    I made some pasta today, plain with red sauce and she wouldn't even try it. She just looks at it and waves her hands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My two girls always ate their meals with the family. I never gave them the choice. That was the food available to them. They'd hold broccoli florets in their little hands and gnaw on them, same with carrots, beans, lamb cutlets, hard boiled eggs, anything like that. I'd just provide an assortment of finger foods on the tray of the high chair..
    I'd also meal plan to allow for toddlers to have some finger food to eat, or steam some veggies on the side if necessary..
    I think you may need to transition if you've been previously spoon feeding though. You could provide some steamed carrots or something as finger food, and spoon feed the rest of your toddlers meal until she gets used to self feeding..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She feeds herself, she's been feeding herself since about 12 months. I've tried finger foods like steamed veggies and she does the arm waving thing and won't even try it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Does toddler eat what you eat?

Because she's used to "her" food , puréed foods ect she's just being her natural self and rejecting unfamiliar foods which is very normal at this age, the best thing to do is put food you know she will eat with your food on her plate and just let her watch and see you eat, don't make a fuss, just let her watch you eating and enjoying your food and she will soon feel comfortable enough to join in, it may take a few weeks but just keep persisting- We did baby led weaning from 6 months so my DS always ate what we ate most of the time

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-11-2016),Lincolns mummy  (30-11-2016),MamaEve  (30-11-2016),Tdez  (30-11-2016)