+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you take siblings to dance concerts/ assemblies??

This weekend we have to take our 2.5 year old to watch a 3.5 hour dance concert! I'm dreading it! And then next week I'll have her on my own sitting through a special 2 hour school assembly. Urgh! She is a spirited toddler to say the least. I love watching my daughter dance and my son is getting an award so I want / have to be there but dreading having to deal with ms2's antics. Last long dance concert was before she was born and ds was about 3.5 and that was a memorable nightmare... but we have no family and no babysitter so no choice. Sigh. Last assembly she tried to get on stage with the choir...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't do dance, but my kids have always gone to school assemblies etc. I have family close, but I wouldn't personally ask for help for those things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an almost 5 year old and a 2 year old. We have my nieces dance concert and then my daughters in the same weekend soon so I'm only taking the older one to see my niece and will take the little one to watch her sister. She sits in reception with me through dance lessons every week so I know she may get fed up but I'm sure she won't be the only one. We just started transition days at school and I did try to get out of taking the 2 year old so I could just focus on my big one but it was inconvenient for everyone so I just dragged her along. Good works well and maybe a small toy she hasn't played with recently or her sister always steals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you literally have no choice then what can you do?! I do take my 2 and 4 year old to some assemblies etc but I do try and get babysitting where I can. A 3.5 hour dance recital would be out of the question, there's not a hope in hell I could get either of them through it. I guess I'd bring the iPad (and I normally never do that) and sit near the exit to ensure I can leave for a quick walk around the foyer. Hopefully the dancing is good entertainment for her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you take an iPad with headphones? Colouring books? Snacks?

Sounds tough. Hope it goes better than you expect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did until dd was 10 months old, then nooooooo for a good few years. She is spirited too and just wouldn't sit still or be quiet. Once i stood at the side near the exit door and left when she got too much. An exit strategy is essential! Last night we went to a concert- she is 4 now. It was okay but she still slid under her seat and we went outside for a while. Its hard.... even with food and other distractions. Sit next to the door hehe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always had to. I get stressed out to the max and never feel like I've seen/heard anything as I'm always trying to keep my younger ones quiet and happy. I have been known to resort to tic tacs to keep them quiet shhhhh!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just took DS to DDs end of year assembly last week but put him in the stroller so he didn't try to run around. Also can wheel him out quick if he was loud.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do, but I always come prepared - something to do, like an ipad & colouring, some treats/ special food that are little pieces or take a long time to eat (Im happy to feed lollies as a once off!) & a good exit strategy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I sure do, I have no choice, but geez it can be a struggle when they go on and on, as Miss 4 is not known for her patience and it can be a very stressful experience for us both.

I always have mints in my bag (for me) and I usually appease her with those! Lol