ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can I have gel polish on my nails during labour??

Well at 40+5 and close to fed up, I have just booked to have gel nails done today as a treat, then decided to Google if this is ok and I'm getting mixed responses. It's just OPI gel polish so nothing excessive, but not easy to remove. I understand it's not ideal to have nail polish on if you have to have an emergency caesar or if they need to monitor you at all during labour because they use your nail bed as an indicator of oxygen levels and the monitors they put on your finger won't work with polish on. The last thing I want is firstly to waste money, and secondly to have to worry about getting the gel off in a hurry.

Thought it a bit silly to call the hospital to ask so hoping I can get a clear answer from any of you ladies that may know.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know really, but I'd give it a miss due to the uncertainty!

As you say, it would be a waste of money and a hassle to have to take it off last minute if needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Once bub comes along will you have time to take it off...? Not sure if this is your first baby, incase you are a first time parent I'll chime in to advise that it's unlikely you'll have the time or energy to remove gel nail polish once bub comes along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Once bub comes along will you have time to take it off...? Not sure if this is your first baby, incase you are a first time parent I'll chime in to advise that it's unlikely you'll have the time or energy to remove gel nail polish once bub comes along.
    I did consider this, will have my mom staying for a month so probably could but definitely wouldn't be a priority so maybe money better spent on a foot massage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IMO call the hospital and ask. If it is ok I would do it. Yes you may not have oodles of time to take it off after baby. But it is a darn good excuse to have 30 mins to yourself after bub is born.

I found getting out to do stuff like hair etc was easier in the first month than now when DD wants me constantly and is moving around.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (30-11-2016),smallpotatoes  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sure all the other nurses and midwives will hunt me down later but it should be fine.

You are correct that we use your nail bed to monitor oxygen saturations and polish can make this tricky. However we can use toes and ears as well and even just turn the probe sideways on your finger.

People often come in with nail polish or gel nails where I work (theatres) and we just deal with it, really it isn't a big deal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Can I have gel polish on my nails during labour??

Did the hospital you're booked into give you any admission info? Mine gave me a booklet that said to come in with no make up, jewellery or nail polish. I'm a rule follower so stuck to that. If it were me I'd spend the money on a nice massage, less hassle later on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure the day before I was due to have an elective c-section with my son. I had to remove the nail polish with my fingers with acetone once I was admitted. It was a couple of years ago but I seem to remember it was ok to remain on my toes but definitely had to be removed from my hands.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We prefer you don't have it on. If you end up in theatre it's going to have to come off at least 1 finger so they can monitor your saturations. Also in labour if there are any concerns with yours or baby's heart rate being too high, then they're going to put a sats probe on you so they can clearly identify a difference between maternal and fetal HRs, so again will have to clean off a single nail.

I would recommend spoiling yourself with something else. Pedicure, massage, manicure with clear nail polish even.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (30-11-2016)