+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have just spotted this awesome thread and have written down some great tips, @SsecretSquirrel, I wrote lots of yours among others and can't wait to do my next shop and start being more savvy with the grocery bill.

OP, how are you going, have you reduced your grocery bill etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Have just spotted this awesome thread and have written down some great tips, @SsecretSquirrel, I wrote lots of yours among others and can't wait to do my next shop and start being more savvy with the grocery bill.

OP, how are you going, have you reduced your grocery bill etc?
    I have been spending alot less! Doing online shopping with Coles everywhere by shopping what is on special and then meal planning around that! Very happy so far and loving the convenience of online shopping. So thank you so much ladies for all of the tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I only have $120 ($100 after formula and nappies) per week to spend on groceries.
    I buy home-brand and make whatever I can from scratch (was lucky that I remember to stock my pantry BEFORE going on mat leave, and just buy one or two items to replenish per week).
    I would love to be able to go to a local butcher or fresh f&v place... but there isn't one nearby.

I don't drive, so I cannot buy more than two days worth of stuff at once as I cannot carry it and push the pram. And going shopping with H is like shopping with 1000 kids...

ETA: family of 5
    Last edited by DT75; 26-01-2017 at 17:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I only have $120 ($100 after formula and nappies) per week to spend on groceries.
    I buy home-brand and make whatever I can from scratch (was lucky that I remember to stock my pantry BEFORE going on mat leave, and just buy one or two items to replenish per week).
    I would love to be able to go to a local butcher or fresh f&v place... but there isn't one nearby.

I don't drive, so I cannot buy more than two days worth of stuff at once as I cannot carry it and push the pram. And going shopping with H is like shopping with 1000 kids...

ETA: family of 5
    That's good going!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me cut my grocery bill!

Epic fail today. Thought I'd save money by stocking up on a product I use heaps of and is on sale. The checkout person charged me for double what I'd actually brought. DD was fascinated by the drink bottles for sale, in particular a $25 one and then chewed on the end of it when I wasn't watching so I brought it, and when I got home I realised that the lid was missing. So my plan to save $20 ended up in me losing $35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    That's good going!
    Sorry, what is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    we changed how we shop, we buy bulk when half price...

So our weekly shopping is not a set plan of meals and food etc for the week..

it's bulk buying what we use and running low on when it's half price.
    We have a meals planned out, 2 weeks in advance - we do buy our fruit and veg fresh weekly, sometimes 2 times in a week.

if you change how your shopping your going to save a huge amount and buying in bulk when its are half price is the way to do it... so all your ever doing is topping up/stocking up, adding in fresh veg fruits, deli - but have already got your meals planned well inadvance.. ours in on our fridge, everyone in the family can see what we have planned for 2 weeks...

If we just did a normal week to week, I dont know how we could afford the bill..
    It took a while to adjust to this method and adding extra items buy x8, x10 of one kind into our weekly shopping And adjusting the budget to compensate while slowing building an inventory but it was sooo worth it Now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meal plan, stock up on non perishables when they're on a half price sale, avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible (I do have back ups for school lunch boxes when I run out of home made etc), but our food bill is still huge...$250-$300 a week. I've done what I can, but I won't sacrifice better quality food to save a bit of money (eg I buy a wholemeal seeded bread from baker's delight...and there is no way in the world I'd be prepared to switch that out for the $1 preservative filled loaves of white bread you can buy at the supermarket to save money, nor will I buy cheap mince full of fat when I can buy a more expensive mince that has minimal fat, sausages are never on our dinner menu etc).
    I've come to peace with it...we don't buy any drinks except coconut water for at home, the only cleaning product I buy is toilet cleaner (use microfibre for everything), we don't buy biscuits/chips or pre-packaged foods (like chicken schnitzels etc...I make my own and freeze). So I've come to peace with our grocery bill as it's as cheap as I can get it without spending all my time off work in the kitchen (my least favourite place to be). I do bulk cook ups...I aim for monthly. That means there's always an easy dinner on hand, which saves those nights of takeaway cause it's busy/you're tired etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a family of 5,soon to be 6, we are averaging $150 a week for groceries, cleaning products and nappies. I saying that we eat very healthy. Lots of veg, fruit, nuts, meat and dairy. We use butter or coconut oil, olive oil for cooking and baking. Make almost everything from scratch. Plan meals and shop forthrightly. We are lucky that we have lots of different fruit planted - cherries, apricots, plums, nectarines so we eat seasonal fruit mostly but if kids feel like eating something else I will buy it for them. Also we plant lettuce and rocket so we eat lots of salads.