+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, thank you so much for all of the replied ladies. Will be taking all of your points on board and see how December goes!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (15-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it hasn't been mentioned.

Shop alone, don't take you DH or toddlers if you can. If DP comes with me same for DS the grocery bill will always be at least $80 more a week hitting $200. I budget to $120 a week. I've started making my own baby food now that DS2 has settled I made up enough today for 2 weeks and it cost around $15 to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I finally discovered the trick for our household to cut the food bill down almost by half. DH has started doing the shopping alone. Turns out me skipping around every aisle going "Oooh, look at that, that looks new and isn't the jar/packet/bottle pretty!" was not at all helping our budget. DH goes in, gets what's on the list and gets out. And now, since I'm terrible at it, I don't even have to go! Winning!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

almai  (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    $100 for a family of 5... not by choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Clementine Grace thank you!! I will keep the water wipes for when we go out. This is brilliant - will be making some up tomorrow!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me cut my grocery bill!

We always have a few UHT milks in the cupboard to use when we run out of milk, helps avoid the need to go to the shop where you inevitably spend more.

Frozen veg as a back up option.

Always have beans, lentils ect on hand. We often have eggs, homemade baked beans and frozen spinach for a meal.

Do one scrape up meal a week, good for avoiding food wastage and can stretch out the food for the week.

So we usually plan 6 dinners and one scrap up at the end of the week.

Another good saving was limiting buying coffee from cafes, takeaway ect.

Carrots are a great snack, so cheap I just peel a few and take them with me whole on the go.

We also buy bulk of our favourite yogurt and fill a refillable pouch for my girls as a snack. Can freeze them for lunches too as a smoothie or as plain yoghurt.

canned tuna on sale can be a good a cheap lunch we make is "tuna bowls" which is tuna , lettuce, cucumber and a cracker crunched up all mixed with a little mayonnaise and black pepper.

And we use cloth wipes (and nappies) but cloth wipes are so cheap and easy anyone can do it.

In saying all this we only shop at IGA and our shop is always around $240 a week which is a lot I think for 2 adults and 1 three year old and 1 baby. But we eat almost no packaged food and my husband never buys lunch or coffee out the house.
    Last edited by BlueLips; 30-11-2016 at 20:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about cloth wipes? I've got a set of 25 that lasted DD to TT & am now using them for DS. Lots of people just buy a pack of face washers & wet as needed (I keep a days worth in a plastic tub with water added).
    I also keep a stack of flannels in the kitchen to wet as needed & use for hands/faces after meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some things that helped us are
    - make everything from scratch
    - meal plan and shop weekly. I meal plan to what meat is on special and eat vego the rest of the week
    - take advantage of rewards programs! Woolies are going hard with triple points and $10 off specials at the moment
    - I make my own yoghurt, muesli bars, scrolls etc for snacks and lunch boxes. Not only do we save a fortune, I know there are no nasties in them
    - shop at green grocers or markets where you can. Better quality and the fruit/veg last longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Doesn't suit everyone but I buy a big piece of cheap meat (silverside or cheap beef roast) once a week and slow cook it. We then eat that meat for as long as it lasts with salad or veg. It's especially good on work night with frozen veg and for DH when he works late - he'll eat cold meat, carrot, tomato and bread for tea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Some things that helped us are
    - make everything from scratch
    - meal plan and shop weekly. I meal plan to what meat is on special and eat vego the rest of the week
    - take advantage of rewards programs! Woolies are going hard with triple points and $10 off specials at the moment
    - I make my own yoghurt, muesli bars, scrolls etc for snacks and lunch boxes. Not only do we save a fortune, I know there are no nasties in them
    - shop at green grocers or markets where you can. Better quality and the fruit/veg last longer
    Do you still get woollies rewards points? I haven't gotten a single one in months, I had just assumed they had discontinued the program.