+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and another tip with meal planning, look in your fridge and pantry first and try to plan to use up any excess food first. Saves on wasteage.

Got some apples at the bottom of the fridge that are looking manky - add them to muffins for next week's baking or stew them and make apple pie or apple crumble. A dozen eggs getting close to the useby date - have an egg based dinner that week.

Use up those ingredients that have been hanging around the back of your pantry eg in my case, I should be using the tins of chickpeas I got for half price, or that brown rice I bought while I was on a health kick.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-11-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We need to cut down too. I was doing a lot of casual work recently so we started splashing out a bit on groceries. Over summer I'll have no extra work so we'll need to reduce our spending. Some ideas I know we can implement is to eat what's in season, cut down on packaged foods and meal plan/bulk cook meals.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We need to curb our spending as well. The quick trip to iga is killing us also. All these tips are wonderful. Df and DS are such fussy eaters so I struggle there. Not eating vegetable and fruit really stuffs our food around

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Oh and another tip with meal planning, look in your fridge and pantry first and try to plan to use up any excess food first. Saves on wasteage.

Got some apples at the bottom of the fridge that are looking manky - add them to muffins for next week's baking or stew them and make apple pie or apple crumble. A dozen eggs getting close to the useby date - have an egg based dinner that week.

Use up those ingredients that have been hanging around the back of your pantry eg in my case, I should be using the tins of chickpeas I got for half price, or that brown rice I bought while I was on a health kick.
    We will often try to do this. And I will stop a big food shop for a week or two to only eat what we already have in the house. You would be surprised what creative and yummy meals you can come up with as well as some basic baked beans on toast meals.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spend $160 a week max for a family of 4. I don't buy many processed foods and bake for lunch boxes. I buy meat when on special and freeze it (we have a deep freezer). We have 3 meat dishes each week, one fish dish, an egg dish, leftover night and a whatever night (sometimes takeout, sometimes toasted sandwiches). I do meal plan but as our meat is generally frozen I can be flexible. Meals like fried rice are super cheap and filling.

Snacks in our house aren't generally packaged foods. We save money by the kids eating avo or cheese on toast for afternoon tea, seasonal fruit, cruskits with peanut butter and honey, cereal, smoothies (made with bananas that are getting a bit past it and any other fruit needing to be eaten), a handful of nuts etc.

I shop weekly. I go between Coles, Aldi and woollies. I know exactly what I get from each shop. I am wheat free so that complicates things a bit, but it's a fine art now. I generally have to top up on bread but that's it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-11-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buy in bulk where possible but at the very least look at the price per 100g to compare EVERYTHING!
    Make eggs or baked beans on toast a cheap meal one night a week.
    Substitute red lentils or beans for half the mince meat in recipes such as tacos or bolognaise.
    Grow herbs, they are sooo expensive to buy.
    Buy big packs of snacks and pack zip lock bags or nibble containers for kids everywhere you go.
    Bake simple things like muffins and biccies and freeze them in individual portions to grab for snacks.
    Put leftover older fruit in the blender and puree with a dob of yoghurt or milk or on its own to make popsicles in the freezer. This is my kids' dessert all summer!
    Freeze EVERYTHING! If you have small amounts of cheese or stock or bananas or cooked sausages or whatever left over, freeze it! Just about everything freezes and it's amazing what you can make out of these later.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hijack OP but @Clementine Grace how do you make your own disposable wipes? I am spending a stupid amount of money on 'water wipes' ($7.50 for 60). I try just to wash DS3 under the tap at home but it doesn't always work that way

14. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend a huge amount on groceries. We do most of these suggestion like cook from scratch, eat in season, however I will not buy imported products. Unless it is something like coconut then it must be organic and fairtrade. I also don't buy the homebrand products as they do not support our farmers.
    I hate shopping at the big 2 and try to buy local or IGA.
    I also think that food is life and why do we always think our food and our country's future should be where we spend less money??

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseMay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Sorry to hijack OP but @Clementine Grace how do you make your own disposable wipes? I am spending a stupid amount of money on 'water wipes' ($7.50 for 60). I try just to wash DS3 under the tap at home but it doesn't always work that way
    Super easy! I'll try find the you tube video but I just get a roll of viva paper towels and cut it in half. Pop it in a plastic container then mix a tablespoon (or there abouts) of coconut oil, one squirt of liquid goats milk soap and one cup of boiling water into a Pyrex jug, mix till disolved. Then I pour it over the paper towel, give it a few mins to soak in then pull out the centre cardboard tube and you can pull out the wipes from there. A friend showed me and I find they work really well! I now just use Naty wipes for when I go out. I need to try and figure out how to get them to fit into a wipes box as I currently just use a round plastic container.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (30-11-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    This is probably more helpful

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpfad7DaitE

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (30-11-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016)