+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help me cut my grocery bill!

Hi ladies

I have been tracking my spending on groceries over the last few months and it is ridiculous!

Please share with me your tips and tricks to help me cut my spending!

Do you shop weekly, fortnightly, monthly?

Do you buy meat packs and meal plan around that?

Do you shop online or in store?

I am finding i am meal planning really well and doing an online shop, only to then realise a few days later i need more of something or have forgotten something.

How much do you spend on average every week?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My bill has cut down from over $200 a week to an average of $140 a week for a family of 3.

My tips are:

- Write a list and plan every meal and make sure you have all the ingredients covered. It's even cheaper if you work around what you already have on hand. I like to list my meals on the back of the list so I can count that I've got 7 and ensure I've got everything I need. It's annoying and costly to go to the supermarket for just a few items, as it's often when you'll buy other extras you might not need!

- shop once a week. This keeps your on-hand produce fresh and replenished regularly.

- branch out from your usual brands if something comparable is cheaper/on special.

- if you shop at the big two (Woolies or Coles) join their rewards programmes and shop with whoever is offering the best deal for bonus points that particular week. I prefer Coles, but I'm shopping at Woolies for the next few weeks as they are offering a lot of points which I'll be able to use as dollars off my shop.

- keep spending on pre-packaged snacks to a minimum and only buy when on special.

- buy the cheaper generic brands for staples (pasta, tinned goods etc).

- cleaning products can often be picked up cheaper from chemists ($2 washing powder for example) or Aldi. There is definitely savings to be made by shopping at Aldi for other groceries too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I shop weekly.

Wherever possible, use chicken drumsticks instead of chicken breasts - so much cheaper. Oh and chicken from the deli is cheaper than in the meat section of the supermarket.

I mostly get veges from a fruit and veg shop. I find it is slightly more expensive but the quality is so much better than Coles and they last longer and taste so much better, so we actually want to eat them.

Same for meat. I go to a butcher.

Cut out all impulse buys.

Cook from scratch and avoid anything premade.

I like to buy up non-perishables in buik when they come on sale. Eg Dishwasher tabs and laundry detergent occasionally comes on sale at half price. I wait til then and buy up big.

I avoid buying up big on food on special because the kids go crazy and scoff the lot.

Homemade versions of takeaway food is cheaper than the bought version. I've found the only exception to this is the pizza I make, but that has more to do with the toppings I like using.

Having said that, my kids eat a lot of food and we spend an obscene amount every week.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meal plan....

My meals usually last 2 dinners, I always use fresh (except pasta sauce) and maybe a few other things.

Meat I get bulk (Costco) or from the butcher

Do a shopping list and stick to that strictly, no impulse buying.

I get quiet a few things from Aldi that's cut the shopping bill a lot. (I don't get meat from there)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were spending and eye watering amount and while we can afford it, I wanted to cut our bill down when we had a second child.

First of all, meal plan! Makes an enormous difference. As well as dinners pick a few snacks to bake one night a week for lunch boxes or afternoon teas. We generally have a cooked breakfast so I usually plan that too. Cooking from scratch will generally save you a lot.

I shop once a fortnight and it takes a bit longer but I find it worth it. I buy fruit and veg at the green grocer (so much cheaper and better), then meat at the butcher, staples at Aldi and then I only need a handful of things from woolies/iga. I like to buy free range meat and free range eggs at $10 a dozen so I find being smart with my shopping means I can buy those things. Work out how much milk and bread you'll need and freeze it, but some long life milk for tea and coffee if you run out. I usually find I need to do a quick stop for extra fruit and veg in the second week but generally not too much else.

It was the every second day trip to the iga for a few items at $40 3-4 times a week that was killing us.

I mainly use cloth nappies but I also started making my own cleaning products when I was pregnant and couldn't use my huge array of standard ones. I'd never go back now, it saves you heaps of money and they work so well. I also make my own baby wipes (not washable ones) and it's so much cheaper and better. I sound like a totally green mumma and I'm absolutely not!

I also do a shop once every 3 months at costco and stock up on all the staples I can.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just remembered. Something I used to find handy was to carry a calculator around with me and tally up the cost as I was walking around. It helped a lot with curbing impulse buys.

Another tip, is to meal plan, but know the cost of your ingredients. Keep old dockets if it helps. While meal planning, I like to make sure I don't overdo the expensive dinners in one week and try to get as many cheap meals in as possible.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016),Wise Enough  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I need to cut down too. Its hard sometimes though.

I try and have non meat meals quite regularly. If you use things like lentils/beans etc it xan be lots cheaper.

Household cleaning stuff etc - get it on special or places like the reject shop.

I tend to buy veg/fruit weekly. Same with bread.

Baking simple things from scratch is cheaper. Like muffins/scrolls/biscuits etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really need to cut costs as well.
    I was meal planning and have noticed since stopping our food bill has risen.
    I am constantly popping into iga for fruit as my kids eat so much of it.

Aldi is where I am getting most of my stuff. Havent gotten too much meat from there but thinking I should try it.

Lists are a must and I find that if I shop online I dont tend to do any impulse buying

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I really need to cut costs as well.
    I was meal planning and have noticed since stopping our food bill has risen.
    I am constantly popping into iga for fruit as my kids eat so much of it.

Aldi is where I am getting most of my stuff. Havent gotten too much meat from there but thinking I should try it.

Lists are a must and I find that if I shop online I dont tend to do any impulse buying
    Aldi meat (in our area anyway) has improved lots.

The steak is good. The short cut bacon is soooooooo much better than it used to be. I have not had issues with their chicken or minces.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (30-11-2016),Purple Poppy  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As everyone has said great meal planning is the best strategy. Cut down trips to the shops as you'll always buy extra. I do a big shop once a fortnight and top up when needed.
    Try and stretch meals out to 2 nights (bulk out with extra veggies or just make larger portion). As an example when I make beef tacos I add 2 grated carrots, a large zucchini and a whole diced capsicum this bulks the taco mince out enough to last 2-3 nights.
    Eat meat free meals a couple of times a week.
    Find good bulk specials. I only use viva paper towel which is really expensive and I go through a lot. It's usually about $3.5-4 for 2 rolls but my local foodland supermarket sells it in an 8 pack for $9 so I always buy that.
    Eating as much fresh food from scratch is cheaper and baking snacks instead of buying muesli bars/snack bars. Buy large tubs of yoghurt and portion out instead of buying individual tubs.
    Do grocery shopping in cash. Set a realistic budget for the week or fortnight and pay cash. If you get halfway and you're running out of money then you know something isn't working!
    Work out exactly what you need each week down to how many liters of milk and slices of bread etc to figure out a reasonable budget. Doing this I realized my DD consumes $60 of food each week by herself (she's 17 months old!). This helps you know what you need to buy and you can look at where to cut back.
    For the 3 of us we spend $400 a fortnight including nappies for DD. It's still too much I waste too much and buy too many expensive things like Persian feta

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post: