+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wind - Colic - 8 week old

Hi everyone

I'm new this this forum and decided to sign up as I have been googling so much and only coming up with old posts.

My DD is 8 weeks old. She has been on Losec since 5 weeks for reflux.

My main concern with her is her obvious distress with passing wind. She moans, groans, grunts, cries, squirms - pull legs up when passing wind.

I've tried everything I can think of, infacol, infants friend, baby massage and tummy clockwise, bicycle legs, burping after feeds, expressing before a feed to reduce overpowering her with milk, feeding her more upright.
    I'm also on a dairy free diet. I've seen paediatricians, health nurses and GPs with not much help.

So I was hoping to get some advice from some mummas who have gone through something similar.......

Did find this is more colic than just trapped wind?

Has anyone tried Braurers Colic Relief?

When did this get better for your bubs?

If you were on a dairy free diet, did you cut out just the main dairy eg milk, cheese or did you also cut it out from foods as an additive? Such as biscuits, muesli bars etc.

Thank you! Sorry for the long post.

Any comments will be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What are her poos like? If they are normal breastfed poo (mustard and runny) I wouldn't suspect dairy as the culprit. If her poos are green and frothy then it could be lactose, which regardless of what you eat she will still have a reaction to as you have lactose in your breast milk. Lactose intolerance is very rare though and is often over diagnosed by parents and doctors.

I found that my colicy/reflux baby (ds1) struggled with wind too, but unfortunately it was something he just grew out of. 8 - 12 weeks was the worst time for it. Once he got a bit bigger he seemed to be able to pass his wind better.

It's so hard to know how to help them but it sounds like you've tried pretty much everything, you're doing a great job mumma.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Rubyy04  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to give you a crappy answer that you've heard before but it was true for me. I googled until I went crazy and asked my gp, a nurse and my paed. They all said the same thing which frustrated me no end : babies are windy, it will pass. Sounds like you've tried almost everything out there. Of course, investigate further if you think there's something seriously wrong, but for us it got better at 3 months and wasn't a problem at all anymore by 4 months. It sucks to see them in pain but it's all a memory now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BB77 For This Useful Post:

Rubyy04  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the reply GingerKat! Her poos are normal breastfed baby poo. And I agree I don't think it's dairy either, my paed told me to go off it and wow do I miss cheese ha ha!

I'm hoping she grows out of it soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you BB77! Yeah I was afraid of that! Something I'm just going to have to ride out I think! Can only hope that it does get better around 3 months