+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In all honesty my kids started as babies. It's no different to them getting babysat by people you trust.

I've yet to have an invite for a play date with a family I don't know but I would probably send my 4 and 6 yo's depending on what the family are like.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016),HollyGolightly81  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I left my DD and DS when they were 4 and 16 months for a playdate for about an hour while I looked at a house. I've made friends with her friend's mum.

I've let DD go with her best friend's mum to go for dancing, playdate and a party. Again, I had made friends with the mum by that stage.

Usually I do turn up for the playdates because I love a good chat - these were when I needed something and they helped me out.

DD has been invited to a playdate later this month with a friend from preschool. I've chatted with her mum on a number of occassions at drop off and pick up and parties so I'm comfortable with that.
    The girls want a sleepover - thats not happening though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had one of DDs friends over for a few hours when they were both 2 cause her mum needed to move house.
    She's 3 now and we are looking at maybe doing a sleepover for one of her friends once the friend is toilet trained.
    I think it really depends on the child and how well you know the parents.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hayden went for his first play without me at a friends house when he was 6.5, and Mikayla went for her first ever play date at a school friends house last week and she is 5.5. I know the parents well, I wouldn't let them go to someones house that I didnt' know well

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I let my kids go to play dates alone since they're 2yo
    I know the parents and its ~1.5hr at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Ummm 2.5..... Last half term a mum from preschool (and a playgroup we go to) offered to have ds1 over for a couple hours as our boys love each other and she had her nanny to help. I thanked the lord and dropped and ran! She's just had a baby so I will have her son over for a play to give her a break as well. I can't believe how much in the minority I am!
    . I've left the kids at a young age with friends for a play when I've had appts too. That's different though as I knew them. Just different as the only conversation I've had with the mum was literally hello, DS wants a play date and organising when and that's it! The kids aren't in the same class, and I think they may be new to the area as haven't seen them around school before, but the classrooms are in 3 different areas, so could be wrong there!

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I always suggest a park playdate in these instances. That way I get to suss out the parent, and as it's at a park there's the ecpectation everyone will stay.
    I did try that, but she was most insistent we come over as her DS wants to show my DS his house. I'm sure we will survive. Just wasn't expecting a first solo play date to be with strangers. But I'll hang around a bit and only go if I feel ok about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    . I've left the kids at a young age with friends for a play when I've had appts too. That's different though as I knew them. Just different as the only conversation I've had with the mum was literally hello, DS wants a play date and organising when and that's it! The kids aren't in the same class, and I think they may be new to the area as haven't seen them around school before, but the classrooms are in 3 different areas, so could be wrong there!

I did try that, but she was most insistent we come over as her DS wants to show my DS his house. I'm sure we will survive. Just wasn't expecting a first solo play date to be with strangers. But I'll hang around a bit and only go if I feel ok about it.
    I think that's all you can do...if need be you could always tell a white lie and tell the mum quietly that your child asked if you could stay cause s/he gets a bit nervous about play dates sometimes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adding: If they're decent people they won't mind you staying. It would never bother me if a parent who didn't know us wanted to stay for the first few play dates.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 01-12-2016 at 12:24.