+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD who is 7 has had a play date alone at her friends house since this year. She has known this friend 4 years (and I've known Parents same amount of time) she had been to their house lots with me. She mostly has alone play dates if I have a job to do where DD can't come.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    DS is 7. Just! I have no problems with him going to 2 of his friends without me as we are family friends and I know them well. Not that he has, but I'd let him. But we have been invited to a play date with a new friend he's made. I've met the Mum once for under 5 minutes, and it wasn't a great first impression, and am just not comfortable with leaving him with people I don't know at all! They are probably nice, but .........

Just not sure what to do as she is obviously fine with her kid coming here (as said he can come next time) so how do I stay without making a big deal of it? They live a few minutes up the road, so not like I have the excuse of a long way home or anything!
    Maybe bring/suggest some morning/afternoon tea (biscuits or similar) and stay for a coffee/tea/drink? If you feel comfortable then you can leave and if not stay for a bit?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Californication  (29-11-2016),Green Cheese  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd1 is 8. We have only just let her go to her best friends house some days after school (with thier parents) for a play date. We also have her BFF here some days - mostly on w/e as her parents work shifts in hospitality - but don't allow sleep overs. Dds friends parents are from a culturally different background (Phillipino) and have sketchy English - a bit concerning for me - and for all of us b/c I dont want to allow something they wouldn't amd voce versa. We live 2km away so its less stressful. The girls go to a Christian school together, so we have a simialr 'view of the world' if you like. I have an open relationship with dd so would know if something wasn't right. She is always champing at the bit to see her BFF at her house, but wont sit in the car alone while I pay for petrol so know she must feel safe. I have never really trusted anyone, but it is my way of slowly letting go and letting her experience life 😁😄😓 They grow up so fast!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Californication  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Maybe bring/suggest some morning/afternoon tea (biscuits or similar) and stay for a coffee/tea/drink? If you feel comfortable then you can leave and if not stay for a bit?
    That's a really good idea. Thanks. I think that would work without being obvious that I'm not keen on leaving him with strangers and possibly offending her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I let my kids go to play dates alone since they're 2yo
    I know the parents and its ~1.5hr at first.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016),HollyGolightly81  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    DS is 7. Just! I have no problems with him going to 2 of his friends without me as we are family friends and I know them well. Not that he has, but I'd let him. But we have been invited to a play date with a new friend he's made. I've met the Mum once for under 5 minutes, and it wasn't a great first impression, and am just not comfortable with leaving him with people I don't know at all! They are probably nice, but .........

Just not sure what to do as she is obviously fine with her kid coming here (as said he can come next time) so how do I stay without making a big deal of it? They live a few minutes up the road, so not like I have the excuse of a long way home or anything!
    I always suggest a park playdate in these instances. That way I get to suss out the parent, and as it's at a park there's the ecpectation everyone will stay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ummm 2.5..... Last half term a mum from preschool (and a playgroup we go to) offered to have ds1 over for a couple hours as our boys love each other and she had her nanny to help. I thanked the lord and dropped and ran! She's just had a baby so I will have her son over for a play to give her a break as well. I can't believe how much in the minority I am!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I let my kids go to play dates alone since they're 2yo
    I know the parents and its ~1.5hr at first.
    Oh thank god!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Oh thank god!
    Haha thank YOU! Lol I had no idea we were pioneers

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Kids going to play dates alone.

I wouldn't have a problem leaving a 2 year old with people I know well but I just don't think play dates are necessary at that age. Most children don't really play with other kids until age 3. Usually it's more parallel play with very little interaction.

ETA - I've left my children at 2 years of age with friends but it was more of a favour to each other for appointments and stuff rather than an official play date.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016),Tinkers  (30-11-2016)