+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If this is your 5th month then I would go back to your GP for a referral now.

It is Christmas - some FS will be on holidays so this way you can organise an appointment and it will be over 6 months anyway.

Or alternatively your GP can order the tests etc (it can be cheaper) and it can be done in the new year.

Please also get your DP tested too. Fertility can change over the years. You do not want to have to go on meds and do tests unnecessarily.

Also, if you have diagnosed PCOS I would also push for more tests etc earlier rather than later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well no joy at my appointment yesterday - but I understand why. My iron levels have dropped severely again, I'm now back to being classified as an anaemic. For the last 5 years we've been working on my iron levels and every time we get them stable when I do the next blood tests it's dropped again. So to find out why they're dropping, because it's no longer a bleeding problem or a diet problem, I have to go have a colonoscopy. And until we know why my iron is dropping all the time and so low she doesn't want to refer me on, because pregnancy would be a strain. She's happy for me to keep trying on my own, and if it happens we'll deal with it, but until we know what's going on in my bowel she wants to hold off on sending me on. Which I totally understand, I'm not happy about it, but I'd rather start a pregnancy healthy and not add any extra complications in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I ask what you are doing to improve iron for now? My DH had to have a colonoscopy recently for a similar issue (found nothing unusual) but we have had to change the way we eat/take supplements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back on the supplements, increase red meat from 1-2 times a week to 3-4 times a week. Lots of leafy green vegetables. Same things I've done in the past that have put me back in the normal range, but as soon as I stop the supplements and the red meat intake drops, because it's expensive, my levels bottom out again. Based on some gastro symptoms she's thinking there's a polyp or something in my bowel that's causing this.

I'm just annoyed that I missed the signs myself - I'm usually pretty good at identifying when my iron has dropped after living with it for so long. But I blamed the exhaustion on how busy I've been at work, the dizzy spells on the laryngitis I had recently etc. I wrote off every symptom as something else, but as soon as she showed me my results (I'm not even in the healthy range, for saturation low point is 10 and I'm at 8).

So calling to organise the colonoscopy today, will get that done after Christmas and see what it brings. Will keep doing what I'm doing to TTC, I'm feeling weird at the moment. Had the days of watery cm which has now stopped, getting lots of cramps and boobs aren't sore but tingly. OPKs and preg tests are negative so I don't know what's going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH has IBS. So the instructions are to have less coffee and alcohol. Meat - it is important but green leafy vegetables are more important.

Cut the dairy around any iron consumption. If you have green smoothies use almond/coconut milk. Up your vit c with food and supplements.

Take Ferro Grad C. For at least 3 months.

Once your iron and stores are up, continue with vit c, avoiding dairy around consumption and also you can try liquid iron. I do not believe increasing meat is necessary to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't drink coffee or alcohol, only dairy I do is cheese as a snack. Already use almond milk if I make a smoothie.

I'm simply not absorbing it correctly - even when doing the supplements and diet my levels only just get into the normal range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Diet can help improve fertility, and can definitely have positive effects for those suffering with PCOS. Consuming a high fat, low sugar diet is very good for fertility. Think eggs, avocado, fish, red meat, nuts, green leafy veg and full fat dairy. If you even try to encprporate a few of these things in daily it may have a positive effect on regulating your cycles

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd ask your gp to do the blood tests that confirm you are ovulating on your own. It's the first thing your FS will do anyway but at least you don't have to wait months to find out. We felt like we had wasted 12 months aimlessly TTC because the gp wouldn't order the basic tests.