+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Obese & TTC - advice please

Last edited by 4maybe5; 02-01-2017 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    This is by no means me telling you not to do it, as you said it is a decision only you can make, just wanted to offer my experience.

My DD2 is now 8 months old. I'm very overweight, probably technically obese. I had gained a lot of weight after DD1 and had intended to lose it before conceiving again. Early last year I started doing a low carb high fat diet which worked really well for me and I quickly lost a few kilos (though I was still very overweight) and we accidentally conceived. I guess the slight weight loss helped my fertility a lot.

Being so overweight and pregnant was incredibly difficult. I ended up having gestational diabetes which meant so many appointments with all sorts of medical practitioners. It also meant I had to deliver DD2 early which for me meant an elective Caesarian. I had a really hard recovery and six weeks after birth I was still hobbling around in pain and could hardly do anything for DD1 which was the most upsetting thing.

Throughout the pregnancy I felt so tired from carrying around the baby and baby weight on top of the other weight. I also had really bad back pain and fatigue. It was truly awful.

After my experience I've sworn to myself that I will only have another baby if I'm in a healthy weight range. Being pregnant and severely overweight for me was very very difficult.

I hope I haven't scared you or upset you. If you really want to do it only you can decide what's right for you. If I were you I would take an extra 6 months and really try to lose at least some weight. Maybe get a personal trainer and try an eating plan like light and easy. When you're in your second or third trimester you'll be so much more comfortable if you manage to lose a bit of weight prior.

Best of luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

4maybe5  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would technically be in the "obese" category I'm 120kg and 175cm tall. We have just this month started trying for our first. We both wanted to be healthy before we started trying but my partner is now 38 and with his weight I am so afraid his sperm quality will not work.

We have decided to start "trying" just to try our luck, before he gets any older. It had actually spurred both of us on to eat healthier, increasing antioxidants and omega 3s. Focusing on our health for conception rather than "weight loss" is so much easier!!!!!!

I so so so hope it happens for us on the first try (I will test on 7th December) however I am realistic in that neither of us are entirely healthy and this may be the start of a long road. The fact that we are finally beginning the conception journey makes me so happy.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelsy For This Useful Post:

4maybe5  (30-11-2016),Rachel3072  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was in the obese range. I was 101kgs and 165cms tall when I got pregnant with my first. No complications, perfectly healthy Bub too.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

4maybe5  (30-11-2016),Rachel3072  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably depends more on your age. I am overweight and never lost any weight from my last pregnancy, I tried to but I just got stressed and angry and put on more weight. Although I am technically fat, I have no health problems but I am 43 so cant afford to give it another 6 months to keep trying to lose weight... it is like every month counts. My plan is to try and conceive and once pregnant see a dietitian and try and put on as little weight as possible. This will be my last pregnancy so I will just worry about the weight afterwards.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

4maybe5  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been obese for both pregnancies.
    I had high bp from 24weeks with bub#1 and from 37weeks with bub #2, both times i needed medication to control it.

I worked up until i had my first (38+5, in a take away joint) as it was mums and she was hospitalised when i was due to stop and had no one. So i was still lifting frozen food, cooking, scrubbing, and doing admin.

I was a SAHM for#2, and started my pregnancy 12kgs lighter. I was just sooo tired the whole time.i ended up gaining 20kgs

Both bubs were csection. Emergency and then elective. Emotionally #2 was worse because i knew the risks of surgery and was worried about my 4yo potentially having to grow up without me. Both we're quick recovery. I was refusing pain needs in hospital and didn't feel pain.

Both were healthy. No need for special care. They were 4.080kgs (9lbs) and 4.560kgs (10lb 1oz) though and it was, of course, "high maternal weight" which contributed.

Just be wary some places with less equip hospitals may not take you as you'd be considered higher risk. Their anesthetist may not want to go ahead with it depending on your bmi , or how the weight is distributed as getting an epiduralor spinal in becomes more difficult (even if youre planning a natural delivery, as a precaution just incase you need it, they may not)

Ohhhh i was also flown via flying doctors while in labor with my first from the biggest regional hospital outside the capital city because they didn't want to take the risk with me. (overweight, high bp, higher potential for a csection which would be a high risk surgery.
    The hospital was already 1hr from my home, in another state, the city was a further 5hrs away.

I choose a different hospital for baby #2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

4maybe5  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im obese and had two problem free pregnancies. Felt amazing while pregnant and could eat what I want and not gain a kilo.

I don't mean to be brutal but if you haven't lost the weight by now, you're not going to. If you want another baby have one.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

4maybe5  (30-11-2016),DT75  (29-11-2016),JJZK  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your feedback. Decisions decisions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Um there is plenty of documented evidence to say that excess weight can be a factor when it comes to fertility and ttc. It's not absolute it's just that it can be a contributing factor. Yes, some obese people do get pregnant easily and yes some skinny people do have issues but their weight is not the absolute issue here. Regardless of that, being overweight/obese will automatically increase risk factors for pregnancy complications. On the whole it is far better to be a healthy weight to conceive/during pregnancy for many many reasons, not just for potential fertility boost.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 02-12-2016 at 00:36. Reason: Quote deleted as per request of OP

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Full House  (01-12-2016),gingermillie  (01-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (01-12-2016),smallpotatoes  (01-12-2016),softshellcrab  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I would start ttc while continuing to try and lose weight.

Have you been to the Drs to get all your hormone levels etc tested to see if anything is out of whack. As that might impact on your decision. E.g. If you need a vaccine booster then it would delay ttc for 3ish months anyway.

I've fallen pregnant 3x weighing between 96 and 105kgs, I've never ended up more than 110kgs(this pregnancy isn't over yet so it might change but at 25/6 weeks I'm still down 1-3 kgs depending on scales) and in my last two pregnancies had no GD or high blood pressure and no other complications.
    Last edited by Bel0v3d; 01-12-2016 at 12:46.