+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Yet another sleep question

Hi,
    For the last week or so we've decided to help 7.5 month old DS learn to sleep in his cot. We got a sleep consultant in and she helped us using 'responsive settling'. It was really a form of controlled crying, patting and shushing and listening to the types of cries.
    The results were quite good, with crying/grizzling becoming shorter each night, until on the 5th and 6th nights he'd basically roll over and go to sleep after a tiny whinge. I think he's cottoned on to the fact that after a while we will go in to pat him and for the last two nights has been crying for longer. He's the type of kid who will cry if he can see you and gets agitated when we leave the room. There's nothing wrong, he's fed, comfortable temp, etc.
    My question is, did anyone try cc and have to resort to just leaving them to sort it out? I think all the walking in and out is just prolonging the crying and making it worse.
    Please no judgemental comments, it is literally the only thing that has worked and my mental health and my marriage was suffering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi, sorry no help with cc as it did not work at all here.

But, I know there is a sleep 'regression' around 8 months similar to the one at 4 months. So perhaps it is that?

If it worked before, I would do the same again but expect it to take longer.

ETA: Also, I read somewhere that from around 6 months they 'learn' to keep themselves awake and as with any new skill, they like to practice it a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply. I only started it 10 days ago, I can't start again!!! Gah!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to leave my first dd to it as she would esculate if I went in and if i patted het she thought it was a game my second dd was the opposite. Do what works for you but give it a try and see what happens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2 of mine preferred to be left. The other wouldn't sleep no matter what you did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

BB77  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

With dd2 returning after a set time only taught her if she keeps it up then I would return, and make her angrier when I left, so I now just leave her when I first put her to bed, if it escalates I check her once again to make sure she's comfortable and leave her to settle herself.

Since I've changed tactic the time of crying dropped dramatically very quickly. She usually sings for a bit, maybe a little grizzle.

She's not traumatised in the least, still a happy bubs.

ETA: now she is older (13 months) I now use these tactics for night waking- leaving her and if it escalates I check her the once only- and in the space of 4 nights she has gone from average 2-3 feeds a night to last night she slept through (first time in months) with barely a grizzle. There were some tears the first night but improved very quickly.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-11-2016 at 06:03.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BB77  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Son is a terrible sleeper and has been since birth. It is slightly better now however I have to stick to a strict bedtime routine any changes and we are back to square one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melh13 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He went down without a problem tonight. I think I was leaving it too long and he was overtired, 4 hour awake time before bed when he should be only getting 3. @Little Miss Sunshine, I read your cc thread to keep me going! Do you find you need to repeat the process often? We're going on a week long trip in January and I'm scared I'll have to keep doing it over and over. Do you find it easier when doing it again? Or are you starting from scratch whenever there's a hiccup?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    He went down without a problem tonight. I think I was leaving it too long and he was overtired, 4 hour awake time before bed when he should be only getting 3. @Little Miss Sunshine, I read your cc thread to keep me going! Do you find you need to repeat the process often? We're going on a week long trip in January and I'm scared I'll have to keep doing it over and over. Do you find it easier when doing it again? Or are you starting from scratch whenever there's a hiccup?
    I'm glad it helped! She's always self settled really easy since cc most nights, and day sleeps are a dream- it's very rare she doesn't nap well- it's the night waking which she slips back on.
    Unfortunately the results may not be permanent but it definitely is quicker and easier with every go. My fault really as boob is just such an easy option and she quickly gets in the habit of waking for it again.

With dd1 I only had to do it a couple of times. Dd2 unfortunately is a different kettle of fish, as she's had so many colds.

She was back to only waking once (which I'm ok with) but the last couple of months she learnt to crawl (late) and now walk, went from 2 teeth to 5, we were going away on holidays and I was returning to work. So it slipped back to 2-3 wake ups, and I decided to wait till things were settled after returning to work before doing it again.

Last night was night 5 of sleep training again. Basically it was a rough 1st night but after that it really dropped off. Last night Slept through 645-545 with a 1 minute grizzle at 3am and she sung herself to sleep.

I've always found it difficult to stay consistent with dd2- I find it hard to judge when she's just having a whinge or she really needs boob lol especially as she's been sick so often

Good luck xxxxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-11-2016 at 05:25.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BB77  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm glad it helped! She's always self settled really easy since cc most nights, and day sleeps are a dream- it's very rare she doesn't nap well- it's the night waking which she slips back on.
    Unfortunately the results may not be permanent but it definitely is quicker and easier with every go. My fault really as boob is just such an easy option and she quickly gets in the habit of waking for it again.

With dd1 I only had to do it a couple of times. Dd2 unfortunately is a different kettle of fish, as she's had so many colds.

She was back to only waking once (which I'm ok with) but the last couple of months she learnt to crawl (late) and now walk, went from 2 teeth to 5, we were going away on holidays and I was returning to work. So it slipped back to 2-3 wake ups, and I decided to wait till things were settled after returning to work before doing it again.

Last night was night 5 of sleep training again. Basically it was a rough 1st night but after that it really dropped off. Last night Slept through 645-545 with a 1 minute grizzle at 3am and she sung herself to sleep.

I've always found it difficult to stay consistent with dd2- I find it hard to judge when she's just having a whinge or she really needs boob lol especially as she's been sick so often

Good luck xxxxx
    Your dd2 sounds like my DS, except for the napping, which still sucks. I guess we sometimes have to play it by ear and use our instincts.