+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kids playing instruments

My granny and cousin played clarinet so when it came time to choose a school instrument (gr5) I chose that. By gr9 I decided I wanted to play in the jazz band so I added tenor sax (conductor helped decide but basically he needed sax and I wanted "the bigger one like Lisa Simpson"). Gr11 he was going to teach us brass (I chose trumpet just cos it was "cool and different") but we never got around to it.
    My parents bought me a keyboard when I was 11 or 12 and I nicked my sisters guitar around the same age. Taught myself both from the internet.

I was lucky in that I had a good social relationship with my conductor since 10 years of age so opportunities just kinda happened for me. I was very talented at music so the concept of adding more just felt right.
    I still consider clarinet my primary instrument, but as an adult I play nothing.

Edited to add: in regards to emotional output, only guitar was appropriate for that, nothing else. The best thing for that was headphones in, volume turned right up. Music was a lifesaver for me, I would have been a danger to myself if I hadn't been able to utilise it as a mood regulator.
    Last edited by MrsTugs; 28-11-2016 at 06:06.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

almai  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also love my son to play an instrument and I am hoping that they will introduce him to the different types at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD takes violin private lessons at school since she was in yr 2. The woodwind/brass instruments generally start when they're just a little older. She also plays the keyboard at a basic level and is getting a drum kit for Xmas (just what I teach her). I think piano/keyboard is the most common for very young kids. At school they also get to try a wide variety of instruments in year 4 or 5 and pick one to stick with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

almai  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a piano and flute teacher. HIGHLY recommend piano as a first instrument. It teaches kids both clefs (bass and treble) which is very easily transferred to other instruments further down the track. Kids who learn piano first will have a huge advantage when learning and picking up new instruments quickly.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrsDL For This Useful Post:

almai  (28-11-2016),bezzy  (28-11-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2016),M'LadyEm  (28-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (28-11-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I grew up playing music and went to a special music high school. It seems like the standard way is/was for kids to start with piano/keyboard (gives a strong foundation in practical and theory, is achievable from day dot etc) when they are young, and then when they demonstrate that they have discipline and can practise regularly then give them some choice for a second instrument.

This is my plan, anyway :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

almai  (28-11-2016)