+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids playing instruments

I love music and wish I had learnt an instrument when I was growing up. I'd love my kids to learn to play something but how do you/they pick what they want to learn?
    For eg: I'd love one of my boys to play the cello because I could listen to that all day! But what if they don't want to... how did you/your kids pick something and when/how did they start learning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids were selected for the school band. They were allocated instruments based on what they were best suited to. eg DD was one of the only kids who could get a sound out of the clarinet so she got it on that basis.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    When I chose my instrument in year 7, a bunch of older kids and teachers demonstrated various instruments to us. I chose based on what I like the sound of. I started learning with one on one lessons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Keep in mind @almai that when they start out on an instrument it is anything but the lovely melodic sound you are imagining

How my parents survived I don't know. Both my sister and I played a variety of instruments - piano/keyboard, violin, French horn, clarinet, flute and I think they struggled the most with violin. String instruments are not pretty in the early years. Very scratchy!

I would look at something that's 'easy'. For example if they're at school and the school provides the instruments on loan then you will have slightly more freedom as the outlay cost won't be excessive. Also think about where they will be learning. Are you looking at waiting until they're at school? Or will you be looking at private lessons external to school? I know my aunt has issues with her kids 'forgetting' their instruments so having to make trips to school to drop them off or otherwise face wasted $$ in paying for lessons the kids aren't attending. I played violin for about 10 years. I had private lessons external to school. When I got to high school I was required participate in the school symphony orchestra, strings orchestra plus have tutorials during the week. Can I tell you it was a massive pain in the backside having to take my violin to school on top of all my other school bags. Even more so on the days I had to catch the bus! I really wish I was one of the kids who played a small instrument or one so big I used the schools one (i.e. Piano). Might be a lot to think about that far in the future, but it may also be something that hasn't crossed your mind.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

almai  (27-11-2016),Isabellabean  (28-11-2016)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Our school holds auditions and the instrumental music teacher matches the child to a suitable instrument. One of mine plays flute, the other the clarinet. Just so you know, years pass before you reach the stage where you can say "I'd listen to that all day"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

almai  (27-11-2016)

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone
    My oldest is only 3 1/2 so I guess I shall wait until he is in school to see what he likes.
    Had to laugh to myself after posting as I realised when I wrote 'I could listen to that all day', I meant listen to well played cello not screechy child practicing cello which I know is what I'd hear for many years! Haha
    I won't try to live vicariously through my kids but secretly I might be so I hope they like a string instrument.... no horns!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mum enrolled me in piano lessons at 2 because she had a baby to look after and it gave her an hour twice a week to focus on the house while he slept.

I loved it and kept it up until I was 14 and got too busy.

DSD started with violin- her mum picked it- and hated it. She kept asking to play the flute and after two years of violin, started the flute. When she could immediately get a sound from it, she knew it was for her. Three years later and she loves it still.

DSS has changed his mind so often- drums, piano, drums, saxophone, drums, piano... ended up with a clarinet as it was all the band program had left for him.
    He's actually pretty good, a year on, and likes it well enough.

ETA: mum chose piano as it is one of few instruments that can be easily 'transferred' as a skill. As in, if you can play it, chances are you can play guitar, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

almai  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is lucky enough to do music in Kindy ( they do basic stuff like learn on percussion instruments and singing and learn about it and other various instruments ) then in year 2 it's compulsory to have to learn either the cello or violin for the year ( school provides instruments and classes are during school time) and then if they want to continue to do those instruments they can or do private lessons before or after school in any instrument - DS really wants to learn the guitar so I'm going to get him lessons just for next term to see how he goes and if he likes it he can continue ( DH plays the drums and also wishes he had learnt earlier )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

almai  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm with you @almai though, it's an absolute must for me that my kids learn an instrument/have music in their lives. Even if it's only for a year or two and they decide they don't like it, at least they've had the exposure. Music is such a massive part of my life, even though I don't play anymore. When we get a place with room to put a piano, we will bring mine out of storage and I want to start lessons again. I am looking forward to taking my kids to the toddler music type programs around similar to what @Elijahs Mum mentioned because I think music is so important for kids to learn. DHs family are not musical at all and he had no exposure to it at all growing up so now as an adult he's wanting to learn. It's just hard between life commitments and the fact that he has absolutely no musical knowledge at all. Didn't stop him buying a guitar a few years back that he still hasn't learned how to play though .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

almai  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got an electric guitar for my 16th birthday... still can't play it 13 years later! I just never had lessons and was never encouraged.
    I think if I had learnt to play something then I could have turned to that when I was a sad and angry teen/adult and needed an outlet so I want that for my kids.
    I listen in awe at the different styles of music now.
    I didn't know if you started kids learning early (as in before school age) was better or not but I'd hate them to start something only because I wanted them too and they hate it.

Thanks for all the input!