+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Steiner education

I went to a Steiner school open day and was very impressed with what I saw. I did notice a few subtle things that left me wondering if Steiner had any religious influences behind it so I googled it when I got home. This was one of the first articles to pop up.....

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2012...f-schools.html

Obviously a very negative take on Steiner but Im reluctant to take this article as gospel so now I'm really not sure what to think. I'll be following along with this thread to see what other experiences people have had....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As I mentioned above some Steiner schools adhere quite rigidly to the pedagogy others are more progressive.

I do not agree with all aspects of Steiner educational philosophy (anthroposophy being an obvious one) however I don't see sending DS2 there as being any different to people sending their children to catholic (or similar) schools when they are aetheists. It is about finding a school and educational philosophy that best fits your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I went to a Steiner school open day and was very impressed with what I saw. I did notice a few subtle things that left me wondering if Steiner had any religious influences behind it so I googled it when I got home. This was one of the first articles to pop up.....

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2012...f-schools.html

Obviously a very negative take on Steiner but Im reluctant to take this article as gospel so now I'm really not sure what to think. I'll be following along with this thread to see what other experiences people have had....
    It has been some time since I read a fair amount on Steiner, and I skimmed through that article, but it seems pretty accurate.

ETA
    Given that it's not as easy to slot your child in to main****** education once you have committed to Steiner, I wouldn't suggest it as a first preference, unless you do believe in many of the values, or 'live the lifestyle' so to speak.

However, it has its place for children that may otherwise struggle in school and need an alternative approach to education.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 28-11-2016 at 19:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think a Steiner education can really suit some children, and be really terrible for others. It depends a lot on your child, and as PP said, finding a school that is the right fit for your child, as well as your family. i know 100% my kids wouldnt suit a steiner education -they thrive on a moee structured learning environment. There are things that do suit us - eg, not having formal education standards until around age 7 - but for me, I choose to keep my kids home with me until preschool & start formal education as close to age 6 as possible, so that seems to suit us. I also like the low technology aspect, but my DD goes to a (religious independent) school that is low tech in the junior years,again, this suits us. I have seen festivals put on my the local steiner school advertised in the paper, & they were quite proud of themselves with a festival that had something to do with changing seasons - I cant remember 100%, but it was something like shouting at the moon to make the winter disappear and spring come? I remember reading it thinking, 'gosh I hope they dont teach the kids that this is the way the seasons change', lol. Seemed very anti-science! Our local steiner also actively discourages vaccinating, and has an extremely low vax rate (if that is something that is important to you). Those who do vaccinate are in the small minority of the school population.

Lots of little things to ponder what is right for your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Vax rates would be a major contribution to my decision.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'm just going to home educate for the first few years. Seems the only safe bet lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Steiner education

I have a child in year 3 at Steiner and one in kindy. We love the school although it felt like leap of faith at the time we enrolled. Our town only has a primary so will need to transition to a main****** high school. By speaking to others however we are not overly concerned. Our eldest is 'gifted' ( I really don't like that word) and is challenged in more ways than academia. He has access to a wonderful music program for example , and his art skills have developed really well-however we specifically were hoping this type of schooling would round out his personality rather than focus just in his intellect. It has done just that. The critical thinking skills and love of learning he has acquired have been amazing also. Our youngest is very much in the dream state, all about the elves and unicorns and magic so Steiner suits her also.
    We are probably more main****** in our every day life than you would imagine, as are many families at our school- we have iPads and computers that we use daily! We work so aren't involved in the school on a day to day basis either.
    Many kids in my sons class just did the naplan and as a school scored well above average so I think educationally the school is at least on par.
    We love the sense of self that is fostered in all the kids. They are valued for their unique talents rather than school or adult or societal expectations. The teachers know them so well. I'm a social worker so this was the most important aspect for me, creating happy and self confident humans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTugs View Post
    Vax rates would be a major contribution to my decision.......
    Depends on the school. Majority of kids are vaccinated at the school DS2 is attending and it is supported and encouraged.

As I've said before you need to research the philosophy and the school - as you would for any school!

This thread is interesting as there seem to be a lot of preconceptions about Steiner education. Yet people (not everyone just generally) seem to blindly accept mains.tream education without question.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

MrsTugs  (01-12-2016),spotsmum  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not me, I've rejected mains.tream haha. Home school it is 🏼

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (01-12-2016)