+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Steiner education

I'm considering and enrolling my daughter into Steiner School d.. does anyone have any experience with this education system? I like the philosophy behind it just not sure whether it'll be challenging enough for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner went to a Steiner primary school from grade 1 to 6.

Things he liked about it:
    Same teacher from grade 1 to 6
    No uniform
    Call teacher by first name
    Choice on where to eat lunch
    Same class all the way through
    Natutal based learning
    Artsty side

Thing's he didnt like:
    Not allowed junk food lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sub. I'm also worried about integration into mainstr.eam schooling

Why is strea.m censored

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTugs View Post
    Why is strea.m censored
    Due to the spammers and their "live strea.m" links

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Renn  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ohhhhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS did one year at a Steiner kindergarten. He hated it! Too airy fairy for him, he needs firmer structure and routine.

I asked him recently if he remembers going there (he's now 9, was only 3 when he went there), he said
    "Yeah I remember, I hated it. They made us eat hommus". Lol!! He hates hommus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have family members (two SILs) who go/went to Steiner schools. I... Personally don't like them (or at least the couple that they've been to). All Steiner schools will be different, for one thing.

I like some aspects of the philosophy and really dislike others. My SILs are now 11 and 13. The eldest has just chosen to move to a catholic school as she wanted something more "challenging". She was getting pretty bored with the lack of academics at school. She found the transition okay, I think, at that age... But from what I know if her and schooling it would have been very difficult if she'd moved to a main****** school any younger, as she's only recently gotten reasonably fluent with her reading and writing. The 11 year old is enjoying school I think. She's not as wildly enthusiastic about is as she was when younger, but that may be due to age more than anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only have third hand info from a primary teacher I spoke to about it a few months ago as we were considering it for our DD. This teacher teaches at a public school which is just near the Steiner school and she's quite familiar with the school and gets some students coming to her school from the Steiner. Her view was that if the child goes all the way through it can be fantastic. The problem she saw was people pulling their kids out part-way through primary school as the parents start getting a bit tetchy that they're 'behind' as it's a different learning methodology. This primary school teacher said that when they then transfer to main****** school they are 'behind' because they have had a different program of learning and that can cause all sorts of anxieties etc. She felt that if the program is stuck with then by the end they do come out with a complete and well rounded education it just gets there in a different way and different pace. She basically said it was an interesting alternative that really suits some kids but needs to be committed to.
    Not sure of the validity of this but I thought it was interesting at the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Minniemin  (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS2 will be attending a Steiner school. Starting next year. He currently attends playgroup at the school 2 times a week. What @gingermillie said above is correct if you are sending your child to a Steiner school you need to commit at least until the end of primary school. Otherwise they will be 'behind' mains.tream children. Steiner does not start formal education (reading , writing etc...) until 7-8 years of age.

Steiner education is not for everyone. There is no standardised testing, learning is self directed and there is a more holistic approach to the child and their education.

Depending on the Steiner school your child attends there will be differences. Some schools are more progressive and will have technology in high school (no Steiner school will have technology in primary school and you are discouraged from allowing children access to it at home this includes TV). Some Steiner schools however are very 'old school' and will not have any technology at all even in high school.

The schools require a family commitment of community hours - you can pay to waive this however it can be quite substantial ($1-2000 extra in fees per year).

It is worth doing your research on the philosophy as well as the school your child would be attending. Most are quite small and can be difficult to get a place.

We chose Steiner for our son because he will simply not cope with the pressure and rush of a mains.tream education. It was important to us that he be allowed to be a child for as long as possible and Steiner not only allows this is fosters and encourages it.

Steiner aims to develop critical and independent thinkers who are socially and environmentally conscientious.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (29-11-2016),Minniemin  (28-11-2016),spotsmum  (28-11-2016)