+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    WTF was with the musical! I realise it was all about the extra song, but they could have done 2 mins of each of the other songs in a condensed package, not 4-5 complete songs that wasted time! Ridiculous. The pool scenes were another waste of time. 7 seasons and we never saw a pool, so why now??

Have the final to go. I forgot Crowded House was on last night, so we watched a bit of that, so was too late to watch both as I have work today and a 2hr (total) commute! A few friends have said the 4th makes up for the stupid stuff in the others, so fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Gilmore Girls Revival

Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    And some of the actors have really struggled returning to character - Alexis Bledel being one, I feel.
    I agree with this. Do you think Alexis had trouble getting back into character because they wrote Rory so differently from how she used to be?

It just didn't feel like the same girl/ woman to me. Even as a teenager Rory always had her sh1t together, the rare times she didn't like when she dropped out of Yale she was always a self starter who managed to get on with it and get a plan going to be productive. I just couldn't reconcile that character I loved to this adult version. Rory Gilmore would have never gone to interviews so unprepared. Also given the current political climate with Hillary running for President and with Rory having covered Obama's campaign I just don't buy that she'd be so unmotivated and flailing in her career.

I feel a little let down by ASP. I sort of want to pretend I never saw it because when I watch reruns of the series now I'll be disappointed to know where Rory ends up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I agree with this. Do you think Alexis had trouble getting back into character because they wrote Rory so differently from how she used to be? .
    Definitely - it wasn't so much getting 'back' into character for her as it was taking on a whole new character! You change a lot in ten years, so of course Rory wasn't going to be the same, but to be flailing that badly in your career after TEN years...it wasn't what we expected for our Rory at all! A bit of a letdown there.

Like I said, I haven't finished watching so I can't give my final verdict...but so far I'm thinking one movie would have been enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very underwhelmed with the spring season and half of summer.
    Winter really just caught us up and fall/autumn was just fabulous!
    A little bit of trivia. Spring and Summer were written and directed by Dan Palladino and Winter and Autumn/Fall were written and directed by Amy Sherman Palladino.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am also conflicted. It felt very "comfortable" returning to Stars Hollow, but the storyline possibilities seemed to just fade out. Taylor being gay? Michel leaving the Dragonfly? Paris and Doyle's marriage? Mrs Kim's Korean choir?

I was very moved by Emily's grief. I was a big fan of Ed Hermann, and the fact that he did actually die only recently made that a very powerful storyline for me. I saw an interview with Kelly Bishop and Lauren Graham earlier this year, and they clearly missed him/grieved for him very much.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, I didn't like that Rory was flailing so much but I still loved it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Gilmore Girls Revival

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I was very moved by Emily's grief. I was a big fan of Ed Hermann, and the fact that he did actually die only recently made that a very powerful storyline for me. I saw an interview with Kelly Bishop and Lauren Graham earlier this year, and they clearly missed him/grieved for him very much.
    Me too. The phone call in Fall had me crying, as did Emily's kiss to his painting. Ed and Kelly were great friends IRL. They used to hang out together in between scenes and I read she was one of the last people apart from his family to see him before he passed. They were a great combo on the show, and while I think they handled it very well, I did miss him.

ETA, one of the cast reunion interviews I saw had an empty chair for Ed which made me cry too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

J37  (29-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think what I'd really like to see is maybe a movie length episode that wraps up Rory's story. I know it doesn't necessarily need to be wrapped up, we can see the similarities between Lorelei's life and now Rory's, but i'd still like to see it. I think it would be interesting to see where she goes from here.

If they did it as a movie they could focus just on Rory's story and we could see more of Paris and Lane. I really liked how Lorelei and Emily's stories ended so I don't think they need to delve any deeper there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Californication  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    I agree, I didn't like that Rory was flailing so much but I still loved it all
    I wish she'd been successful too, but I didn't mind she wasn't so much as that's what happens sometimes IRL. I'm sure there's lots of highly educated people out there who haven't found their niche. Or can't get the job they want. Just made me think maybe Mitchum was right when he told her she didn't have it. As awful as that was at the time!

I didn't mind the ending. Though I had guessed 3 of the last 4 words (I thought Lorelai's was going to be "Rory" looking for her) after the wookie thing, it wasn't quite what I thought as thought they were setting it up for a "who". But I can work with it. In my imagination, Logan and Rory get back together. But I have always been team Logan! I'm glad Jess has grown up and made something of himself, but he was an awful BF to her. I was totally on Lorelai's side in not wanting him dating her teenage daughter! Apart from the storming off because she wouldn't have s.ex with him, he took off when things got tough and was a jerk back then. He didn't treat her well at all. Dean did, but was too nice for her. Logan was the right mix of good guy and bad boy. And he always, always, had her back. He stood up to his family for her, supported her, encouraged her. So I can't see him turning his back on her now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant to say too that I read someone saying somewhere that rather than it being a circle of life with Rory going the same way as Lorelai, that the full circle was based on Emily and Richard. Emily was the other woman remember - Richard was engaged to someone else when they met and his family didn't approve of her. The Huntzburgers didn't approve of Rory either, and Logan did say she was "one of them" meaning the elite, when she complained about it. Lorelai ran from that scene, where as Rory ran towards it. Interesting theory anyway!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (29-11-2016)