+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Scooter sizes

We're looking at getting 3.5yo DS and our tall 9yo DD scooters for Christmas but I don't know how to work out the sizing. Everywhere I see them they are mostly in boxes so I can't get them to try.

We don't want to get expensive ones as they won't be used heaps.

We got DD a character one when she was younger, with 2 wheels on the back and that was fine. I figure we'll go the same for DS now. Is there a big advantage to the 2 wheels being at the front?

It's mostly the 9yo I'm lost with. She's about 140cm tall and will grow a lot over the next couple of years. How do I tell if a scooter in a box is the right size for her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://kidstuff.com.au/micro-scooter...k-scooter.html

Just an example of an adjustable one - that might be better as it will last longer.

It could work for your 3.5yo if they are confident on 2 wheels rather than 3 (you can check out height in store too if it is the same height as the 3 wheeler on the lowest setting it shoukd be fine - as long as he is ok with 2 wheels).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My 9yr old had a razor scooter. We go through a few a year because he brakes going down the drive way. Perfect height for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you want it to last a while then I probably wouldn't get a razor...they are generally not very strong because they are foldable. I would look at a MGP for a lower end but but solid scooter. Even if your kiddo uses the brakes a lot (and puts a flat spot on the wheels) you can buy replacement wheels, instead of replacing the whole scooter. I usually buy my boys scooters from Scooter Hut online..there's multiple brands that are great just depends what you want to spend...
    At 3.5 I'd be buying a 2 wheeler but depends on how competent your kiddo is...he'll grow out of a 3 wheeler fast so I wouldn't spend too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies. I definitely don't want to spend as much as a micro costs. I just want to get them both something basic. If one of them loves scootering, then we'll invest in something better.

I was thinking 3 wheel for DD as he's a complete madman and I need him stable and slowed down - I need to be able to keep up walking! I'm happy to get a cheapie this year and upgrade 12-18m later once he's (hopefully) a little more sensible.

So are there basically just "toddler" sized scooters, then "kids/teens" scooters? I'm looking online and still so confused by sizing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To be honest, none of my kids enjoyed scooting unless it was a micro. It's been one of the best Christmas presents and they have good resale value.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If you don't want to spend that much, I would look at zoomy or globber as they look similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bit off topic but deciding on micro scooter for dd 3 when do u goto school age for size? She would be average height I guess. This is first time I have heard of these scooters lol