+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @keegan thanks for the reply. I am about to start the process to access our super and so hope it won't take too long. I too feel a lot better being in au. I hope your journey is going smoothly.
    I am nervous about having to meet the donor as my husband and I are quiet and I don't have the best self esteem and worry that she will not like me.
    Have you got a date for your cycle yet? Are you using DH sperm?
    My DH is about to do a FISH and SCSA test on his sperm to check for any problems just in case.
    Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @waitingtoexhale We are very similar in regards to being quite shy, although since talking to our donor over email I feel much more comfortable and relaxed about the whole process. Our donor is such a sweet girl and lovely which has put my mind at ease. We were meant to meet our donor next week however there seems to be some sort of issue with the donors visas (not just our donor but all of them travelling to Australia this month). This has caused us great stress over the past week as they have still not been granted by the Australian embassy. There doesn't seem to be a clear explanation of why there is a hold up particularly as KED have sent donors to Australia numerous times previously. After everything we have been through there are more hiccups. Trying to think positively but it's been hard. We are hoping to know more by the end of the week.
    We are using my partners super sperm
    All the best

3. The Following User Says Thank You to keegan For This Useful Post:

Waiting to exhale  (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @keegan I hope things start to go more smoothly for you soon. Will be keeping my eye out for your updates..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, this is my first time posting, and I was so excited to see this thread. @keegan we are also scheduled to be involved in the February cycle of the known egg donors program. The difficulties with visas has been so stressful. We were previously told that as our donor had a pre-existing visa from one of cycles here last year, that she was fine to travel (as she didn't need a new one), however in reading your post I have emailed to double check, I'll be keeping everything tightly crossed that all the visas come through in time! Your donor sounds so lovely! @waitingtoexhale We chose our donor based on eye colour, general similarities in facial bone structure to myself, and a significant part of our choice was that she sounded like a really lovely person. We have only received the one email back from her, which was lovely, sadly haven't heard back to our other attempts at email though. We too are quite quiet and shy people, and so I initially had been feeling anxious about the donor dinner, but now are feeling more excited (and just very much hoping that it will go ahead!)

I think that wherever you undertake the process, it is an anxiety provoking one, as so much of it sits outside of your control. However, doing it with respected Australian doctors in a medical system that we're familiar with (and the ease of communication with medical staff that goes with that) has been an important factor in our decision to go with this program.

I really do look forward to hearing how you all go on your journeys, and will be very hoping that everything falls into place for your donor and yourselves @keegan (and hope that we may even have a chance to meet at the donor dinner if all goes to plan!)

Wishing everyone all the very best

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Prophy we were told the exact same thing as our donor had travelled to Brisbane to donate just a few months ago for another couple. I haven't been sleeping and the unknown is causing alot of stress and we really don't know what to do now. A plan b was provided but we are not comfortable at all with what has been suggested. I did try and send you a private message but I think to receive private messages you have post or comment on a few posts before private messaging can be set up.
    This has been quite a rollercoaster ride! Fingers crossed we receive some good news soon and we get to meet at the welcome dinner

Thanks
    Reviews
    @keegan that sounds so overwhelming! The general process, wherever it's done, can be such a stressful process in itself, without further uncertainties being added to the mix (particularly at this late stage). I can completely understand why you're struggling so much with sleep and your feeling so stressed! I know that we've also found the unknowns along the way have certainly been a source of much anxiety for us. I imagine being provided with a plan b would be so hard after all that you have emotionally invested in you original choices.

Unfortunately I think you're right re needing to post a certain number of times to receive and send PMs, so I will endeavour to get posting so that we can speak further.

You're in my thoughts and I will be hoping so much that everything comes together over the next few days so that the rollercoaster ride can settle, and that you can feel as though you're able to continue again to take steps towards pursuing your dreams. Here's hoping that despite any bumps along the way, that this process will see our dreams come true

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prophy For This Useful Post:

keegan  (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I'm curious about how this program works. Does your clinic arrange it? How much do you pay?

I take it that you meet the donors? What do the donors get out of it?

Do the egg donors have a family limit, like sperm donors?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Tiny Danza. You need to go through Dr warren deambrosis, Dr Charlotte Mooring or Dr Dr Salisbury(?) as your treating doctor at QFG in Brisbane (as well as the donor coordinators there), and then also go through the Known egg donor agency (which is based in South Africa).

You get to meet the donors at a dinner when they come out to donate (so after you have made your choice). Under Australian Law the donors cannot be paid, but just as with an Australian donor, their travel, accommodation and other expenses are paid for, however this is paid through the agency, and you pay a management fee to the agency and one to QFG. There are seperate payments required to both QFG and Known Egg Donors, so each can give you their costings (you can get the QFG one through the donor coordinators there). Your Drs fees will be additional to those other fee schedules.

To the best of my knowledge the donors do have a family limit.

Hope that this is of some help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply.

I just wonder what the donors get out of it though? If they're just motivated by altruism, why not donate at home?

And if they're keen to travel, why not go to the US where they could be paid properly for donating?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Known Egg Donors via QPR/Dr Waz

In SA.. Donor are paid approx $800 to donate.. Which is maybe half a months salary.. However since the travelling SA donors are being organised via a third country.. Possibly Thailand.. I suspect they are getting more out of it. If they donate in SA.. Donation is anonymous., so by travelling to Australia.. It is not anonymous.. So maybe this is what the donors are looking for.. In addition to the opportunity to travel and maybe more $.