ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    So fairyfloss it may be hard to come to terms with it, but they are not BSing us with the donor egg thing. They are giving us the facts and being real about it.
    I think we have to agree to disagree here. There's plenty of studies out there that show protocol can make a big difference. A lot of the time women can't get pregnant with IVF but manage to get pregnant naturally. Goes to show that the protocol can, in some instances, be more harmful than beneficial.
    A lot of women with low AMH have taken their babies home.
    Some women are ok with donor eggs and that's fantastic, but I'm not there yet and I have only just started my first IVF cycle. So I'm not really interested in hearing an FS go on about donor eggs at my first appointment.
    The truth is they just don't know how to help us older, poor responders. We are a challenge and there is only one or two protocols that, after a few goes, can extract that good quality egg.. I'm yet to meet an FS who has suggested a protocol that is geared towards poor responders.

Anyway, thank you for your input.

Anyway, I've only just started and I'm not prepared to give up. I will keep going and if it doesn't happen, then I can say I did everything I could and I'll be happy with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, mine was 2.9 and I am 36. Only 3 follicles on one side and a cyst on the other that was found during day5 follicle count scan. I am also hoping to hear from others that were successful with low counts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome @Newlywed0506, congrats on your recent nuptials

Can I ask if you know what your day 3 FSH level was? Is it high?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fairyfloss7676 For This Useful Post:

Newlywed0506  (17-12-2016),rox27  (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mysticfalls, I know what you're saying about realism, I really believe that too. But it's each individual's choice as to how far they chase a dream - emotionally, financially etc. While your FS might be sad a woman with a 2% pregnancy chance is coming in - that same woman might be thinking, for me personally, I know I have a 2% chance but guess what I have enough money for three cycles and for my own peace of mind I want to do those three cycles so I don't have any 'what ifs'

I don't think that's anyone elses choice to make except the woman or the couples. Of course the odds should be discussed but at the end of the day it's not necessarily sad if a woman says "hey, one more go' - in a way it's empowering. She has the info, she makes the choice.

I agree with you the donor egg thing is 100% right but i don't think you can assume those women trying different clinics or protocols are NOT realistic. They might have just set personal limits they're comfortable with.

For myself, I can't convert to IUI as I have tube issues so I guess maybe that's why I'd collect for less eggs. Also, I've had two FS tell me very clearly that for older poor responders a more or less natural cycle collecting just one or two eggs has a better chance of success rather than pounding fragile ovaries with drugs. But they all have different views

Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    JellyBlush,

I did IUI because i only had four follicles. 2 lead, 1 in the middle and the last one not even close! I would never do IVF for anything less than 6-8 follicles. Im not a gambling woman at all and this IVF thing is a gamble. I wasn't willing to use $13,000 to gamble on just 2 follicles. When the return is very low (rebate) only $4,000!

I don't know if you read before my AMH is only 1.1 and the chances are very low! I got my FS to agree to one IUI because he knows Im realistic. I told him I just want one go and then it will be donor eggs for me. He was happy with that and so am I.

He stated he wishes all women were as realistic as me. He said he sees it. The women that come in month after month, thinking we are not doing our best to get them pregnant, cause we are but its hard. He said would you get on a boat with a hole in the side and still expect to get to your destination? Same thing applies here. We see these women wanting to try every protocol or change clinics because said clinic hasn't gotten them pregnant. When its not the protocol or the clinic its just the facts. He said a female with an AMH of less than 4 has a 5% chance of falling pregnant and keeping a baby to term. The figures of keeping a baby to term or close to term is 1.1% So whilst some may fall pregnant its due to the older eggs that mean that pregnancy does not come to term. Ie miscarry. They think this has to do with chromosomal issues which present itself in older ladies more so than younger.

He stated that using donor eggs will increase the chance of a take home baby to between 50%-70% depending on whether its a female infertility or a male infertilty. It hasn't got much to do with the carrier (female uterus) but the age of the eggs thats the key. So thats a gamble of $30,000 without rebate that im willing to gamble with.

He said its saddens him when women come in expecting a different result with different protocols or change clinics and keep doing this time after time. He said he knows their best possible chance is donor eggs but some just don't want to hear it or flat out refuse.

He stated as in your case you have used donor sperm and it doesn't make it any less both your daughter and now your considering donor egg and sperm. This will give you the best possible chance. And I stated i know and am fully aware Doctor thats why we are going egg and sperm donor if this IUI doesn't work.

As well as our sperm donor was only available for one IUI ONLY!! Dont think doctor was aware of that. We got permission for one IUI ONLY from the donor team. I just wanted one chance, im not going 20plus cycles for less than 5% chance no way.

So fairyfloss it may be hard to come to terms with it, but they are not BSing us with the donor egg thing. They are giving us the facts and being real about it.

The govt are currently looking at how many cycles a lady can have with the cheaper govt funded clinics to having only 5-6 goes. And rebating only 5-6 cycles of the expensive IVF clinics. The rest you will have to pay for. They are also currently looking at how IVF clinics report pregnancy rates. Somewhere someone has told the govt that if a woman does not get pregnant in her first 5-6 cycles the chances they will ever is slim. I have seen it but i will admit it is slim. I have seen people that have gone 18+ cycles before take home baby.

Just food for thought.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyblush For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss7676  (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyblush View Post
    Hi Mysticfalls, I know what you're saying about realism, I really believe that too. But it's each individual's choice as to how far they chase a dream - emotionally, financially etc. While your FS might be sad a woman with a 2% pregnancy chance is coming in - that same woman might be thinking, for me personally, I know I have a 2% chance but guess what I have enough money for three cycles and for my own peace of mind I want to do those three cycles so I don't have any 'what ifs'

I don't think that's anyone elses choice to make except the woman or the couples. Of course the odds should be discussed but at the end of the day it's not necessarily sad if a woman says "hey, one more go' - in a way it's empowering. She has the info, she makes the choice.

I agree with you the donor egg thing is 100% right but i don't think you can assume those women trying different clinics or protocols are NOT realistic. They might have just set personal limits they're comfortable with.

For myself, I can't convert to IUI as I have tube issues so I guess maybe that's why I'd collect for less eggs. Also, I've had two FS tell me very clearly that for older poor responders a more or less natural cycle collecting just one or two eggs has a better chance of success rather than pounding fragile ovaries with drugs. But they all have different views
    I agree with everything you've said and thank you as this is what I was thinking..

You are absolutely right about the protocol to net one or two eggs of quality than trying to get quantity. I've read that in numerous journal articles. There are truly none of those FS here.. If I can just find one, I would be very comfortable cycling with them!

I read a very interesting article concerning a 24 year old young lady who did 7 cycles of IVF and in 4 cycles got 0 eggs and 1-4 poor quality eggs in 3 cycles... Yet she had around 18 follicles in every cycle.. Any FS would have told her to think about donor eggs, but she had a great FS who looked into it and found that she had a trigger problem, so they added a synarel pre-trigger at 40 hours followed by pregnyl at 36 hours before EPU and she got 18 eggs, 16 mature, 11 embryos made it to day 5! 2 embies transferred and she delivered a singleton baby at 38 weeks!!!

The protocol and trigger are very important and failure to administer the correct protocol or trigger could compromise egg quality. I'm not saying the protocol is to blame in every case, but in poor responders, you have to be very careful the protocol you choose.. Using something like a long protocol where the agonist is administered for 10 days or longer, followed by gonadotropin stimulation, may be a poor choice for the poor responder. This initial pretreatment with agonist may remove endogenous gonadotropins from the system and "suppress" the response of the ovary so that adequate stimulation is impossible.
    Similarly, an antagonist protocol without estrogen priming will result in uneven follicle growth..
    Flare protocol is also not advisable for a poor responder..
    There's only two protocols that will work for a poor responder and I am yet to meet a FS who knows that!!! They deal with so many normal responders or women with high FSH that they don't really know how to deal with poor responders..
    But I'm paying them to advise me, not the other way around... Lucky for them I have time to do some extra curricular research to help them out..

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you feeling @Jellyblush? Any symptoms yet?
    Got my scan done today, looking like 5 eggs at a minimum with an 11mm lining!! Excited and nervous!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Something smells very fishy here and I wouldn't be surprised if @pingc383 is now calling herself @fairyfloss7676 and pretending that she is on her first cycle and asking random questions that don't make sense to throw people off.

So Ping, you've asked about Sydney FSs, and then on another thread asked about low cost clinics in Perth? You've put yourself down as Low AMH and are calling yourself a poor responder, yet if this is your first IVF cycle, how would you know that? Most people don't FS shop and say they've seen several FSs and no one is interested in helping poor responders, when if this really is your first cycle you don't know if your are a poor responder or not. And by the way 12 follicles with 5 good lead follies is not a poor response at all.

Most people heading into their first cycle are naive, blindly optimistic and do not know anything much about agonist / antagonist cycles, NKC, immune issues, poor response etc. This information is normally found after many failed cycles of IVF and lots of research, forum reading, investigation etc. I have no doubt that this is the path you have been on, but by pretending to be a newbie who's done lots of research just doesn't add up.

@fairyfloss7676 I think you really need to be honest about who you are and what your experience is and has been as you are asking for help / giving advice under false pretences and people are responding to you as if you are the person you are pretending to be and it's not fair.
    Last edited by Summer; 05-12-2016 at 18:30.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (05-12-2016),dani251  (05-12-2016),JustJaq  (05-12-2016),Tinachris  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry @Summer?? I'm not following?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyfloss7676 View Post

There's only two protocols that will work for a poor responder and I am yet to meet a FS who knows that!!! They deal with so many normal responders or women with high FSH that they don't really know how to deal with poor responders..
    But I'm paying them to advise me, not the other way around... Lucky for them I have time to do some extra curricular research to help them out..
    Fairyfloss MBBS FRANZCOG?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (05-12-2016),Summer  (05-12-2016),Tinachris  (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Fairyfloss MBBS FRANZCOG?
    Lol, I wish!!!