+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Implications of long luteal phase (if any)

So, I have been doing some googling about luteal phase and the implications about having a long one consistently.

I seem to have one that sits around 20days and I'm not sure whether this is going to have any sort of impact with ttc.

Everything I read talks a lot about short ones but can't find much about long.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I doubt it has a negative impact. Once the egg implants it didn't matter at all. Good luck

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    How are you determining ovulation? 20 days seems quite long, but provided you are ovulating fine then I don't think it would be a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    How are you determining ovulation? 20 days seems quite long, but provided you are ovulating fine then I don't think it would be a problem.
    Earlier this year I had 2 lots of blood tests for my "day 21" test (not done on day 21 due to long cycle, both done 7 days after peak opk). First had showed I didn't actually ovulate that month, second showed I did. Dr has said due to this and high AMH I probably don't actually "ovulate" every month even though I have the surge. Both test months had 20 days between the "o" date and the start of the next cycle. In the last 4 months I have done 3 with OPKs and all had 20ish days between the peak and the start of the next cycle. One was a cycle length of 31 so o happened on CD11, where as the 2 others were cycles of 47 and 40 the o was on CD27 and CD 19.

The 20 day consistent luteal phase at least helps me guess when AF will come because it really has no consistent cycle length but was just confused what it means (assuming I do ovulate for the month in question of course).

This month I apparently ovulated on day 23... so expecting a 43ish day cycle. Will soon see if that is correct I guess!

Thanks
    Last edited by Lanabananah; 22-11-2016 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you ovulate & the egg is fertilised it shouldn't make any difference from a normal luteal phase as there's plenty of time for the egg to implant.

I would actually be more concerned about not ovulating every month. Hopefully your doctor has ordered further tests to see why this is happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Perhaps you could try acupuncture to try regulate your cycle? I was having a short luteal phase and it worked for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybump08 View Post
    If you ovulate & the egg is fertilised it shouldn't make any difference from a normal luteal phase as there's plenty of time for the egg to implant.

I would actually be more concerned about not ovulating every month. Hopefully your doctor has ordered further tests to see why this is happening.
    Hi, to be honest this was one of my initial concerns when I went to see my GP at the start of the year even though I knew I wasn't going to actually start trying until now. My mum had a lot of issues which resulted in a total hysterectomy when she was 35ish (I'm 30) and once they started the surgery they found a lot of cysts on her ovaries which they removed while they were there. In addition to this, her twin sister her cervical cancer which lead me to get tested at 18 and found out I had CIN3 and needed surgery twice to remove parts of my cervix. There's not a lot of cervix left (which is why they tried another type of treatment the third time so they didn't have to take more of it out) and my gynaecologist at the time indicated they would probably give me a cervical stitch and go for Caesar delivery, so that, combined with concerns about ovulation was what got me thinking about it in the start.

We had a lot of talks before he sent me for my first sent of tests and he thought that regardless of what the outcome of them was, when I did start to actually try he would like me to give it 3 cycles of trying, with full tracking (opk, bbt and cm) and then if nothing happened then he will refer me to see the FS for investigations and potentially assistance and I can use those 3 cycles as my "pre homework" that the FS would want to see and I was happy with that arrangement.

Once it came back that maybe I don't actually always ovulate we had another talk and he asked if I would like to go to FS sooner for my own piece of mind but I was happy to stick with our original plan.

Now that I have been reading a lot of these forums and seeing people's experiences with ovulating, egg release, pcos etc I'm wondering if maybe I should do those investigations sooner rather than wait my 3 cycles. Although I am half way through my first and busy at work , and will be in America for most of my second so maybe it's not too much longer to wait considering how much time will pass before I can actually properly go in.

I'm second guessing myself about the whole thing now!
    Last edited by Lanabananah; 22-11-2016 at 23:08.