My partner and I have just received the news from our fs that we won't be able to conceive naturally and will need to do ivf. We have low sperm count but otherwise all is ok.
Just wondering if anyone feels up to sharing some insight on what lays in store for us venturing down this path. I'm feeling a little lost and unsure... thanks
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 25
21-11-2016 16:53 #1
21-11-2016 17:09 #2
hugs that you have to go down this road.
First they will want to check your fertility, and will require blood tests of both partners.
Then they may want a further sperm sample from partner.
They might suggest ISCI with low sperm count. Where they will give you drugs to first stop your cycle and then start stimulating your ovaries to produce eggs. They then will collect the eggs and put husbands sperm into your eggs (ISCI). They will then incubate them and give you reports on how they are doing. Then usually at day 5 they put them back and you wait two weeks to see if your pregnant which is done by BT (blood test).
usually the first cycle is a test run. Sometimes sperm have more trouble than just low sperm count. But they won't know until karotype testing and/or after first IVF cycle. Its not usual but sometimes sperm have bad fertilisation rates sometimes.
Im a little tired whilst typing this. Sorry some others may be more comprehensive. And insightful.
How low was the sperm count if you don't mind me or us asking?
21-11-2016 20:02 #3
Everything that Mysticfalls has said. But you'll also have scans and bloods along the way to measure follicle size.
Has your FS suggested that your do go on any medication to boost his count. Only asking as my dp had low count and motility issues and our FS put him on menevit (chemist over the counter) and re-tested 2 months later and it increased his count and motility. We still went through round after round all of which failed but then by miracle after 4 yrs we conceived a little DS naturally off a fet transfer DS is now 4 months old
21-11-2016 21:06 #4
Thanks @MysticFalls and @babybeeno1
We have both had all the pre testing and first sample was at 7million. Fs has asked for another sample which he will do this week. He has been on blackmores preconceive and recently Chinese herbs, so we are hoping it has increased. If it has we will have the option of iui if we want while we wait for the lab to be where we live for the ivf. We are regional and only have option of ivf 3 times a year.
At this point it looks as though I'm all ok but fs has asked for me to have a lap and hyst next month to double check so we don't waste money on ivf.
What was your husbands count at?
21-11-2016 21:06 #5
21-11-2016 21:07 #6
Sorry about multiple posts internet dropped out and phone posted 3 times... have edited them down to nothing
21-11-2016 21:44 #7
Definately go the lap that is the reason I got pregnant. We changed FS early last year and they weren't convinced we needed IVF. I had the lap had stage 3 endo & a fibroid tumour removed from uterus and like I said I got pregnant naturally off a fet transfer.
21-11-2016 21:46 #8
21-11-2016 22:27 #9
also they may suugest iui which is using DH sperm to assist them to the egg by delivering them straight into the uterus via a small catheter. Painless. It's cheaper than IVF.
Hyster if they mention hysterosalgupingogram to you then I suggest you ask well not ask tell them you want to be sedated for it. I had mine done regional and it hurt like hell!!!! When I told the clinic they said "good god we put our ladies under for it". this is a test to see if your Fallopian tubes are ok and possible for IUI (inter uterine insemination)
mine was fine we later found out it was DH. My hubbies motility, morphology and count was all out of whack! We used donor sperm, because we found out through further karotype testing about his balanced translocation. We were given a zero percent chance of falling preg naturally or with ISCI. So donor it was.
not saying your going to need this.
Well between no menavit and two months after taking menavit his count went up but morphology and motility we still not good. Still not good because still had translocation.
Since having daughter we had two natural pregnancies shock! But also resulted in M/C so two angel babies. It is due to his translocation so he can make babies rarely but they will not stick around. The first one I did not know why I was constantly bleeding. Second one I prayed and got a positive and then during 12 week scan no heartbeat. So got the baby tested only had one set of chromosomes and would have had turners syndrome.
So for us no chance. But for you and hubby I would suspect if your tubes are fine they will start with IUI.
And keep having sex because if I can get pregnant with my hubbies dodgy sperm tag you can I think his count was less than 2million. It should have been 20million. The last time I was preg to hubby I was 41yrs old. So his dodgy sperm and my old eggs hmmmm anything is possible.
another tip if you have to do IVF (ISCI) then hit up the more experienced ones on here for information. I have only just asked what my estrogen level is I never asked with my other cycles. My current estrogen levels say I'm not going that great whilst stimming for eggs. I never knew this at all your long term IVF persons or older ladies are a wealth of information a god send.
Also so ask questions lots. If you don't know any to ask pop in here and ask. We will try to help.
21-11-2016 23:05 #10
Thanks again ladies. I actually got a peak in my lh today so we used a conception aid called "the stalk" tonight - google it as it has a decent success rate. So fingers crossed we get blessed with a miracle baby!
@MysticFalls wow I'm sorry for your losses and everything you have been through. So amazing though that you guys got pregnant with his low sperm count, that does give me hope!
I have had the hsg - hystoringopingagram or whatever they called it, all was fine there, but yes it hurt quite a bit and I had a bit of bleeding during and after as they had to clamp my cervix to get the tube in and up.
We will try and do iui if we have time as I think I'll be in for keyhole surgery for the laparoscopy and hysteroscopy in either dec or Jan and the fs said they won't start iui or ivf until I've had that done. So may not leave any time to do the iui as the lab is in our area in feb/march for ivf. Thankfully we have private health, ivf is expensive isn't it! But will keep trying in the meantime for sure!
Thanks for both of your advice, stories and tips! Xo
The MAMA CentrePregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal ...
LATESTGames to play with your baby – newborn to 12 monthsHow much food for babies and toddlers? Standard serves and portion sizesHow to mindfully manage a tantrum
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Why did you move to AustraliaGeneral Chat
High Natural Killer Cells #9Reproductive Immunology
Weekend Fluff- Saddest tv moment **spoiler alertGeneral Chat
Low supply first time around, likely to happen again with second baby?Breastfeeding Support
Know the risks of D&C's - Asherman's SyndromePregnancy Loss Support
Booster seat for 7+Safety Issues