+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FET - how does it work? I am clueless. Please help

Hi all

Oh gosh, it's been 5 years since I did IVF. My DS is now 4 and I so bad want #2
    I live abroad and am coming home for xmas (last min idea)... so I thought maybe I could use one of my frozen embryos while I am home.

Is that possible?

How much prep time do you need to do a FET? My period is due the day we land in Australia if that helps you help me.

Please help. Thanks all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    Hi all

Oh gosh, it's been 5 years since I did IVF. My DS is now 4 and I so bad want #2
    I live abroad and am coming home for xmas (last min idea)... so I thought maybe I could use one of my frozen embryos while I am home.

Is that possible?

How much prep time do you need to do a FET? My period is due the day we land in Australia if that helps you help me.

Please help. Thanks all.
    Firstly, unless you initially had an indefinite referral to your FS, you'd need a new referral from a GP.
    That might take time.

You'd probably then need an appointment with the FS, as they'd likely want to run some blood work to see where your hormones/health etc is at since it's been 4+ years since you were last there.
    Getting an appointment might take some time, as there can be quite a wait list for FS.

Based on the outcome of the appointment/blood work, your FS may want to put certain protocols in place for your transfer cycle. Again this could take some time.

Unfortunately, it won't be as easy as getting off the plane, going to your FS clinic & having an embryo transferred.

It's probably worth giving your clinic a call soon and finding out some info before planning anything in depth.

It may also be worth checking your Medicare eligibility etc, if you've been living overseas for some time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

bebehvala  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with Calstar, I'd give your clinic a ring & see what they can schedule in for you while you're here & what's needed beforehand. I'd maybe ask if you could have any blood tests or scans where you are & have results sent. I know my FS wants to do a scan herself around a week or so before transfer to make sure lining is suitable. I also had to take a number of meds beforehand but there's all different types of cycles they can put you on too.

Good luck, I really hope they could schedule something in for you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

bebehvala  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And I had to start taking my meds on cycle day one. How long are you back for op?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

bebehvala  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default FET - how does it work? I am clueless. Please help

Agree with pps - I needed a new referral from GP, they ran a bunch of blood tests again, then a day 21 scan before the cycle to check all was ok, got scripts for all the meds (mainly pessaries), then I called them on day 1 & started meds. You could probably organise a lot before you get here, but I think it would be cutting it fine to start the day you arrive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

bebehvala  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girls thanks so much!
    The doctors here where I live won't assist in anything related to this as I am not a citizen. So, unless I go to a private clinic 2+ hour away, but the costs to ship my embryos to my new country are beyond excessive and I have been told I run the risk of losing them.

I have called my FS and the receptionist is going to try to get me an emergency appointment as soon as I get back to discuss my options. So thanks for that idea!!!!

Can I ask, when you do a FET, what meds did some of you take? I am not sure I need them as the FI was with DH and not me.

Blessings,
    Bebe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Firstly, unless you initially had an indefinite referral to your FS, you'd need a new referral from a GP.
    That might take time.

You'd probably then need an appointment with the FS, as they'd likely want to run some blood work to see where your hormones/health etc is at since it's been 4+ years since you were last there.
    Getting an appointment might take some time, as there can be quite a wait list for FS.

Based on the outcome of the appointment/blood work, your FS may want to put certain protocols in place for your transfer cycle. Again this could take some time.

Unfortunately, it won't be as easy as getting off the plane, going to your FS clinic & having an embryo transferred.

It's probably worth giving your clinic a call soon and finding out some info before planning anything in depth.

It may also be worth checking your Medicare eligibility etc, if you've been living overseas for some time.
    Ohhh great thanks for helping me think about Medicare. I panicked a little. But, accoding to the site it says that as "long as your absence does not exceed five years, you should expect continued coverage by Medicare." Which I have not, so phew, that was good to know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky27 View Post
    And I had to start taking my meds on cycle day one. How long are you back for op?
    I am back for 6weeks, but I could change my flights if I needed J ust would cost me $$

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: Thanks to you all for your help. FS said I can do the FET next week. Happy Dance pending blood test being a-okay.

So glad you reminded me to get updated referral too - medicare paid me already.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bebehvala For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (29-11-2016)