+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    Full time veterinarian with nearly 25 years experience - 80k.
    Be assured your vet is not ripping you off. Our pay is not great for what we do and is one of the many stress factors of our job.
    Our local vets are pretty reasonably priced (rural I might add), so this isn't a huge shock to me, although I thought maybe it'd be a teeny bit higher.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Waggers70  (23-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    Full time veterinarian with nearly 25 years experience - 80k.
    Be assured your vet is not ripping you off. Our pay is not great for what we do and is one of the many stress factors of our job.
    I feel like these jobs have to be done for love not money. My husband, who dropped out through year 10 so didn't get either school cert, and us never been to uni, falls into jobs that pay that or higher and are easy work. (Risk of injury though I suppose).

I'm about to undertake years of study to get a job that will pay much less than the ****kicker position I held a few years ago that had no qualifications.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Waggers70  (23-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As for me, at my last job before DD got sick I was in real estate admin/reception and was on $42k. The job prior to that was $50k for the same thing. Crap pay for the amount of abuse we cop from disgruntled tenants and landlords.

I want to go back to casual/PT work next year when DD goes to school and I don't really want to go back to real estate. Nearly all the bosses I've had have been major tight ar$3s who didn't value their admin staff. Their businesses would literally fall apart without us!! Made me mad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    As for me, at my last job before DD got sick I was in real estate admin/reception and was on $42k. The job prior to that was $50k for the same thing. Crap pay for the amount of abuse we cop from disgruntled tenants and landlords.
    Are people really rude to real estate staff??! That's really surprising for me! Wouldn't people (esp tenants) be motivated to be nice to them since, yanno .... their housing situation kind of depends on the RE?

People can be awful so I totally believe it, but I'm just surprised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    God, I always thought my pay was sh!te - this thread just proves it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

PipersMummy  (03-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you do and how much do you earn?

Enrolled nurse (public)
    Casual
    14 hrs per week (mon/tues)
    30k (2 days per week)
    Last edited by Kazza78; 23-11-2016 at 18:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Are people really rude to real estate staff??! That's really surprising for me! Wouldn't people (esp tenants) be motivated to be nice to them since, yanno .... their housing situation kind of depends on the RE?

Oh god yes, we cop a lot! Especially as receptionist, in the firing line as first point of contact. The worst one was a horrible tenant calling me a b..itch (could've been f....ing b...tch but I can't remember exactly). I am what's called 'laid back' (ask anyone who knows me in person!), so he must've said some nasty sh..it to rile me up enough that I must've said something to him that caused him to say that (IYKWIM, he would've said it in response to something I said, but I would've been copping some serious verbal abuse to have said whatever I said).

That guy then came into reception and I threatened to call the cops because he started on me again with verbal abuse. I actually felt unsafe and didn't go on my usual lunch time walk that day, just in case. Someone even got my boss to hang around reception until he left. Ironic really, because the reason for his 'problem' with us had something to do with the fact that he had structurally destroyed the kitchen in his rental. Needless to say he got none of his bond and the landlord took him to court. What a disaster! He moved house and I have no idea what happened to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post

Oh yes, especially to women, I've had many a hero cranky tenant go off when a girl answers the phone, I love it when I've answered the office phone they go off and demand me to put him through to the boss, nothing gives me greater pleasure than saying " your speaking with her!" They then quickly change their tune!

Or some buyers can be pretty bad, they call up and demand answers to property questions that my admin staff are not allowed to answer and get the ****s if no one is here to talk to them straight away and won't leave their info , or they just walk in or call when they are outside a home and get cranky when they can't see a property straight away without an appointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember one of our grads a while back on his first day saying he was always nicest to the admins, because they're the ones who hold all the power and get stuff done. And it's so true!! Especially if you work in a corporation where people who aren't admin aren't allowed to do certain things. In my last job we couldn't even speak with our travel company regarding our own travel, had to be done through admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Nearly all the bosses I've had have been major tight ar$3s who didn't value their admin staff. Their businesses would literally fall apart without us!! Made me mad

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fortunate enough to work for an organisation that is hugely supportive of the admin team. We get a lot of recognition for the hard slog we do day in, day out. I'm in community services too, so the issues clients present with are usually of a highly sensitive nature...if we didn't get appreciated for the stuff we have to handle I don't think I could do what I do!