+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF with PGD

We are looking to do IVF with PGD as we have 2 beautiful boys with ASD. We are going to select a girl to decrease our chances of having another child with ASD.

I'm just reading that I need to take 300iu of GonalF and then orgalutran and maybe Luveris or Pregnyl ( I did have a consult with the Nurse but I told her not to bring the infections)

Is 300iu of GonalF the average dose? I do recal that me FS said that he was going to help me make more eggs than a regular IVFer.

We are also self funding all this and I'm not sure if my calculations are correct but is $15000 about right per cycle including PGD. We are now with BUPA after being with Medibank (who screwed us around after 10yrs of having top cover)
    I'm thinking we should go over the Medicare safety net pretty quickly.

Ta - I am so new to this but very excited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A couple of things...with ASD selecting a girl does not rule that out. If it's a genetic cause, you should get microarray testing done on your hub and yourself to see if you are carriers of a chromosome difference which could result ASD. They can then screen OT specifically for that. ASD is prevalent in girls, it's just that quite often it's not picked up because it's milder (or diagnosed later). So selecting gender won't necessarily help you. Also in Australia (if that's where you are) gender selection is illegal unless you are a specific carrier of something that is sex related (such as Duchanne Muscular Dystrophy which only impacts on boys).

With regard to meds, 300 is a reasonably high dose and typically if it's your first ivf docs will start lower and dial you up if need be. You want quality over quantity. If you are overstimulated you can get a lot of bad quality eggs which is not what you want. As far as orgalutran yes you will need something like that to suppress your cycle as well as gonal to stimulate growth. With Luveris this is usually added later if the doc feels you need help with maturation of eggs (lots of older mums do it). Then you will need a trigger to make you ovulate such as pregnyl or other.

In terms of cost it's clinic specific but when we did an ivf cycle with pgd it cost about $3700 out of pocket after Medicare for the ivf and then $800 per embryo for pgd - that's with one of the more expensive clinics Genea but there are cheaper ones around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

Liana2B  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello. What clinic are you going through?

Do you and your partner have any fertility issues? If not, are you sure you'll get a Medicare rebate? And if you don't get a rebate, i don't think it counts towards the Medicare safety net.

If it makes you feel any better, i don't think private health insurance covers much for IVF anyway, except for hospital costs?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Liana2B  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally understand that it won't totally rule out our girl having ASD. We are going to get her assessed with the boys OT at 6m to make sure she is reaching all her milestone. Our paed will also see her.
    Our OB who is now also our FS actually asked us if we would chooses this way to have our third child and yes we are in Australia.

Thanks for explaining the meds and $$$ .... still trying to get my head around it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Hello. What clinic are you going through?

Do you and your partner have any fertility issues? If not, are you sure you'll get a Medicare rebate? And if you don't get a rebate, i don't think it counts towards the Medicare safety net.

If it makes you feel any better, i don't think private health insurance covers much for IVF anyway, except for hospital costs?

We don't have fertility issues so I'm thinking we won't get any help. We self funded obstetrics and we got some help from Medicare but it's totally different this time round.

We are seeing a FS down in wolllongong but he referred us up to Sydney for collection and I think our embryos get sent somewhere for testing.
    A few of the brochures are from IVF Australia.