+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Play dates and friends

Hi all,

So far I have one child 5yrs old.

We have no grand parents no aunts or uncles. And no friends that are close to come over.

We are currently trying IVF again but it may not work.

How do I make friends with other people who have kids so that my child will have someone else to play with?????

I'm not great with conversations. I get quite lost after hi my name is and what do you do for a living.

I would like to role model in o my child. She has trouble too stemming from no one wanting to play with her at daycare.

Before we left Sydney she had no problem.

Sincerely
    Mysticfalls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I only have one and have always made a point of organising lots of play dates, I literally just start chatting to the other mums, I've met some great friends when he was younger at his little kickers and mainly music classes , at pre school I always just organised after pick play dates and invited everyone to our parties and now at school it's easier but just literally start up a conversation as usually that mum is probably wanting to talk as well - does your DD do any activities or is at Pre school? It's as simple as saying "are you free one afternoon next week to get the kids together for a play at the park?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, you just have to ask! My DD plays quite well with one child at daycare, her mum & I had only seen each other in passing but I popped a note in the other child's pigeon hole for her mum asking if she'd like to get the girls together for a play. We didn't know the first thing about each other but we all had a lovely time. Turns out we knew some other people in common who have kids the same age so that has widened our circle a bit too.

I'm probably pretty lucky in that DP's job is very social and lots of his workmates have kids DD's age. But I've always been the instigator of getting us all together. DD has no cousins and likely never will, so I too feel strongly about building a big extended 'family' for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Where do you live now?

Kinder? Play dates? Mums groups?play group?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found that I made a few friends when DS1 started school mid 2012. Some of actually had a meet up today in the park at the beach as one family
    Moved away 2 yrs ago to the country but we all still catch up and include them. I did have mums group but that disbanded years ago and my bestie I actually met through someone that was in my mums group and we are having a BBQ pool party tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm about to be in a similar position, moving interstate and trying to find new friends with kidlets for ds to grow up with. All his cousins etc will be far away so I plan to look for play groups and try to network through day care when the time comes for that. It daunting having to start again when your set in your ways. Hopefully you find a nice group of people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Daycare probably the main one for us. When my DD was 2, she played mainly with one girl, her mum introduced herself to me and I now consider her one of my closest friends. plus our DDs are still best friends.

I can be socially awkward too. Making conversations at pick up and drop off and at parties are the easiest ways Ive found.