+ Reply to Thread
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default House Reno's- Where to begin?

We bought our house just over a year ago, and whilst DD still has 2 years before she goes to school and thus freeing my purse strings (I mean, how crippling is LDC costs?!) we want to start investigating the costs and things involved in adding a master suite to our house. (Master bedroom, WIR, Ensuite)

From the very little that I think I know, we would need a draftsman to do up the plans and then get quotes from builders etc... but, before we see a draftsman, do we need a plan of the house? Or do they come, make their own plans and add to them?

Help or advice appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The draftsman/architect should be able to get a plan of your house from your local council. I think he/she will then come out and make sure it's correct (sometimes people do Renos without council permission, knocking down walls etc that don't get put on the plans). They will then add what you want done to the plan which you will give to your builder for a quote. Your builder will know how you go abouts getting permission from the council.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 21-11-2016 at 11:02.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Depending on the builder, they can do the drafting and approvals as well. If you aren't confident go with a builder who can do it all.

The draftsman or builder can start from scratch with the plans.

How old is the house? If it is less than 10 years old there should be plans somewhere, otherwise it's unlikely.

Our house was built in the 50s and we have been slowly renovating it for the last 7 years. When needed we have just had plans done of the area we were working on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Friends of mine recently renovated their brick veneer 1970's home and they had an architect (I'm pretty sure it was an architect and not a draftsman) come in and look over the house / their plans etc and he went away and drew up his own plans that were completely different to what my friends' had drawn up and they absolutely loved his ideas. He came up with ideas they had never even considered and in fact they went with his plans and didnt change anything he suggested. He asked their budget and stuck to their budget and didnt give them outrageous suggestions that they couldnt afford.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Regarding the plans do you still have the floor plan from when you bought the property. You also don't need to have a fully fledged builder do it all for you as you may be able to do owner builder if your up for it and liase with trades etc. concreter, plumber, electrician, first fix carpenter but get one that can do second fix to. Painting you could do yourself. DP is a subbie and he does a lot of owner builder reno's for people with the owner doing all the organising with the trades and it saves you a bomb of $$ aswell

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (19-11-2016)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Our house was built in 1990 I think. Brick veneer 3 bed/ 1 bath. There was no plan of the house included when we bought- it was private sale whether or not that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Our house was built in 1990 I think. Brick veneer 3 bed/ 1 bath. There was no plan of the house included when we bought- it was private sale whether or not that makes a difference.
    The council might have the plans, you can apply for a copy. It cost$$ but if they don't have them there is no charge.

If the house was at any point a state housing house then there is probably no plans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just did a major Reno on our 1980s brick house ( we pretty much gutted the interior and added a second story). We didn't have plans, just the original survey plan (the outline of the house on our block of land) Our draftsman came and measured and did all the plans

Thanks
    Reviews

We are building a deck on our house at the moment. We had to get plans from council , also pay for a soil test. we had architects Come and do drawings and engineer is looking over them now to approve before we send to the council to get the ok to commence. I'm not to sure if it is all the same steps for you though
    Last edited by Rosie8888; 20-11-2016 at 13:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do advise getting council approval for it all. As our friends did renos on there house and added a room and bits and pieces. When they sold there house they lost a fair chunk of money as it was not approved or certified.