+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Woolworths cards

Ok I've had my cranky pants on about this for a while and they are getting tighter, so I'm curious if I'm alone.

So far I have embraced the Disney cards, the animal cards, the Australian animal cards, mini versions of the cards, and whatever the one before this one was.

We started bringing home the cards for the current one but after the kids unwrapped them and I saw all the garbage from the rubbish left behind, I wondered if I still had the books from ANY of the previous cards. Nope. All gone and not one of my 4 children has asked for them.

I was at woollies recently shopping and was asked if I wanted cards. I told the girl politely that I'd had enough of the cards. She started complaining as well, telling stories of parents trying to get more and more cards off the checkout staff, and kids trying to steal them.

I'm so over it. I tried to tell myself they were educational but I don't think they are. I watched my kids obsess over filling their books for no reason other than to say they were full.

I think I have a problem with these programs but am struggling to put my finger on why.

Am I alone??? Or am I just an animal card hater whose finally reached their limit?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If my child weren't the unique little guy he is, I would be feeling the same. In fact I did with the Disney ones. But these cards are educational for my ds1. He is 7 and since he was 2 or 3 he has loved learning about animals and countries. He has seen just about every David Attenborough, he reads encyclopedias for fun, a globe can keep him occupied for hours.... he does love the cards and reads them often and he has kept the books of the animal ones. He would love it if they did a space one as well.

But the Disney dominoes were a PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    See I thought my kids would love them as they also love David Attenborough and everything to do with nature and the natural world. I just don't like that they all come in packaging which gets chucked out. Seems crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Maybe also if I didn't have 4 kids they would stay neat and tidy and they would actually use them. I used to love encyclopaedias when I was a kid and thought this would be a similar thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    These latest cards have been the worse and I have not let dd collect many.

The disney cards with the projector and the dominoes the kids actually use alot. Especially the dominoes so I dont mind them.

If they did a small book to collect each week I wouldnt mind that. But all these cards just laying around just drive me crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    If my child weren't the unique little guy he is, I would be feeling the same. In fact I did with the Disney ones. But these cards are educational for my ds1. He is 7 and since he was 2 or 3 he has loved learning about animals and countries. He has seen just about every David Attenborough, he reads encyclopedias for fun, a globe can keep him occupied for hours.... he does love the cards and reads them often and he has kept the books of the animal ones. He would love it if they did a space one as well.

Your son sounds really sweet ☺

I get what you mean, Sonja.

Ps my 2yr old DS quite likes the dominoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm over all the cards too, so are my kids.
    I go shopping, diligently collect the cards, check that I have an even quantity, so they each get the same amount, take them home and give them to the kids. After the first week of these cards, the girls stopped even opening them!

Last time the operator in Woolworths asked my girls if they wanted the cards, they both said "no thanks"!

I think they've done too many cards and the girls have card fatigue!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You're not alone @Sonja

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't collect them myself but my mum is obsessed with them (she works for Woolworths) she said she is planning for when I have kids (TTC #1 month 2) I haven't even told them I'm trying and she has been collecting them since before I was married. The dominos were the best and as an adult I found the Jamie book interesting but I think my mum had fun with the new cards how they fold out (doesn't remember them from when I was a kid)
    I hate to think about how much money goes into the collections and we would be paying for them in our shopping weather we took them or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post

Wow, you have just described my DS1! I thought this lot of cards was good, as if you bought the map, each of the stickers had map co-ordinates and you would find the right country and stick the sticker on. Perfect for that 7yo type age group.