+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I wish they were. My 14 year old DD was walking to school earlier this year and had a van drive past her, do u turn, pull over and the driver start talking to her asking her name, offered her a lift to school etc. She ran off as quickly as she could, but was very very spooked. A safety house would have been good in that situation.
    I think there is a lot to be said for getting to know your neighborhood, and being involved in your school and community. My children would know the occupants of at least one house on every street in our local area. I always say to my 11yo "remember I have eyes everywhere!"...This keeps him out of mischief 😉. They also know there's somewhere to go if there's an issue. Obviously not everyone goes to their local school, but being involved in the community helps...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Full House  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids are 7 and 4 and I can't see it happening anytime soon. We live rural, so the parks are all in town so if they want to go, I have to take them anyway. But while dodgy people hanging around is a concern, I'd be more worried about the 4yo hurting herself. We have play equipment at home and she hurts herself at least twice if they go play for an hour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think random abductions are more common these days. It's just that we hear about it more through social media and smart phones and instant "reporting" but it is really hard to not be over protective when you receive a note home from your children's school saying a child was approached (and grabbed) by a stranger on their way to school. I'm more worried about my children crossing busy roads than strangers but I still get uneasy when I got that note.

I was reading again about the Beaumont children and about the 2 girls aged 12 and 4 in 1973 who disappeared from the football oval after going to the toilet.

I wouldn't leave a 4 year old in the supervision of a 10 year old in a public park and leave for 15 minutes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm thinking maybe 10 or so, depending on the kid. But we have a little play area - swings and slide across the road, I'd be happy to let them go there earlier than that - 7 or 8 or so

eta - I've been thinking more and part of my anxieties generally about letting my kids so stuff are that DH and I grew up in small towns. We now live in a 'city' (not massive but still 300,000 more people than where we grew up). Some of the things people who grew up here talk about are on a completely different level than us. For example, skipping school and going into the city - the people in the local shopping centre would refuse to serve us if they thought we were skipping school.
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 20-11-2016 at 06:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's hard to imagine letting my boys go anywhere on their own, they are 3 and 5 (I have a newborn too but that obviously doesn't count)

But then I think about myself at age 10-11 and I definitely went out on my own all the time and this was about 5 years before mobile phones were a thing. I would ride my bike to my friend's house and we would go for bike rides deep into the bush and all over the suburb. We stayed within our suburb but my mum would have had no way of knowing where I was until I came home in the evening.

Different times I guess... This would have been 23 years ago. That makes me feel old..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Leaving kids alone in park

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I was reading again about the Beaumont children and about the 2 girls aged 12 and 4 in 1973 who disappeared from the football oval after going to the toilet.
    This was at Football Park (well last known as AAMI Stadium) in Adelaide. I used to go to the football there a lot and I never understood why at 13 my dad wouldn't let me go to the toilet by myself.

It was only a year or so ago I heard about this story and realised why. But my dad was and is a helicopter parent and he let that one incident dictate the way he patented when we went to the football. But to me it contributed to my lack of self esteem as I always had to be 'helped' with everything or shown 'the right way (AKA His way).

What I'm saying is I think balance is needed. We need to teach our kids how to be safe crossing roads alone, walking to places alone, stranger danger etc but it's also so so important to give them some element of independence so they also don't grow up being fearful of something terrible happening.

What age that happens at or what elements of independence that is will differ from kid to kid so I can't comment what that will be for my kids but I'll always keep balance in mind when DH and I make these decisions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw this on the news online this morning. This is why I feel kids just can't be left to their own devices anymore

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...?ocid=9newssfb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I saw this on the news online this morning. This is why I feel kids just can't be left to their own devices anymore

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...?ocid=9newssfb
    This is near where I live and I feel sick to my stomach that poor little girl and disgusting excuse for a man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That little girl will be ruined for life and the poor mother for allowing her to go in there in the first place the comments that people are making towards her yes it was wrong but the guilt she will have for the rest of her life with what happened. I lived in Parkes for 8 months in 2004 for work and travelled to orange every day for a couple months with work aswell. You just never know anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure at what age I'll be okay with it. Maybe 13.

I used to roam the neighbourhood from a young age, but there's no way in the world I'd let my kids do that now. I have a friend who's a local police officer and I go by his guidance.