+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Work + study. How much is manageable?

For people who have managed to combine work and uni, I am curious how many hours of work and how many subjects at uni you managed to do (without pushing yourself to breaking point)? I'm at uni full time at the moment, and was hoping to continue with that, as it's 8 years part time, which just seems way to long! There's a few jobs I would like to apply for, but don't know if I'm being realistic or not.

(I'm also a single Mum of two kids.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm working and studying (postgrad masters) and have a 16 month old DD. I work 2.5 days a week and this past semester my DH was away for 14 weeks and I only managed 1 topic of study. Having said that my job as a uni lecturer is not really 2.5 days a week and my DD only goes to childcare 2 days a week so clearly it doesn't add up and that made it very difficult.
    In my job as a lecturer we say to students if they are studying full time then limit paid work to 15-20 hours a week max (and that's without having kids to look after). I guess it depends how old/self sufficient your kids are, how far you are into your studies, how well you are doing etc. if your kids are at school or in full time childcare then full time study and 15 hours work per week is probably achievable. Busy but achievable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-11-2016),chameleon  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm studying full time (40 units per semester which is 3 classes). I have 3 children (9, 6 & 2), a DH that is a shift worker and I work only 1 day per week. I couldn't work anymore than that without unbalancing my home life or dropping grades. However I've done really well this year with my grades so I guess I could work more if I had to but would have to settle for a pass instead of D's or HD's. So I guess there are a few ways you could juggle things

5. The Following User Says Thank You to L.j For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by L.j View Post
    I'm studying full time (40 units per semester which is 3 classes). I have 3 children (9, 6 & 2), a DH that is a shift worker and I work only 1 day per week. I couldn't work anymore than that without unbalancing my home life or dropping grades. However I've done really well this year with my grades so I guess I could work more if I had to but would have to settle for a pass instead of D's or HD's. So I guess there are a few ways you could juggle things
    Wow! I know this thread is a bit old but could I ask when you study with 3 kids of that age?? Mine are similar age and I'm lucky to manage 2 hours a week 😬 My 2 year old is on daycare for 14 hours but so much gets used up on household stuff that's either built up or things like dr apts that I don't want to take her to. I'm only doing a self paced online course at the moment but hoping to start something that will help with my future job prospects once I figure out what that is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 kids, work full time and study 1 subject per study period (requires approx 20hrs a week). DH helps a lot and I don't do back to back subjects. It will take me forever but I love it so it's worth persevering with 😊 but I am tired.... oh so tired!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time, have a 2 year old and have just gone back to uni. This semester was my first one and I did 2 subjects. It was tough, but I made it easier on myself by being very organised. I looked at the subject outline at the start of the semester and started the big assignments well in advance.

It is tough and you have to be disciplined, but it's definitely doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really think everyone is amazing who can study with kids. My kids are school aged, but I'm doing the summer semester and finding it impossible to find time now that they are on holidays. I think this week I have managed all of about 10 minutes Hopefully once the craziness of Christmas is over I will get a bit more a chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Wow! I know this thread is a bit old but could I ask when you study with 3 kids of that age?? Mine are similar age and I'm lucky to manage 2 hours a week 😬 My 2 year old is on daycare for 14 hours but so much gets used up on household stuff that's either built up or things like dr apts that I don't want to take her to. I'm only doing a self paced online course at the moment but hoping to start something that will help with my future job prospects once I figure out what that is!
    Hi Freyamum - sorry I have only just read your post. I was in the same boat as u a few years ago. Thought I would like to study for a career change but it was too overwhelming and I wasn't sure if I could take it on. Fast forward a few years and I felt I was ready. I study most days. Even if I can get an hour in here and there it helps. I write a plan for my week and include study, appts, work, basic housework (I only do a quick once over when I'm studying. Bathrooms, toilets, floors etc. It's taken a while to get used to but if the floors only get a spot clean them so be it!) I'll get up at 5am some mornings to get an hour of study in. I'm up at 6 most mornings so I can get my girls and me ready for the day early. I'll try and do washing, groceries, appts early so I can dedicate lunchtime/early arvo to some study. I make my lunch the night before when I'm making the school lunches. That way I can quickly grab it at 12.30 the next day when my 2yo has a sleep. Then I get another 1.5 to 2 hours study and eat at the same time. I have sometimes put a DVD on for my 2yo so I can get an extra hour in (we have usually been shopping or for a walk before that). I'll study every night after they r all in bed. So from 8-10. Poor DH watches a lot of TV on his own when uni is on but he can see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If I have exams or an assignment due my DH or mum will sometimes take the girls out for half a day as well. If I'm at uni and have a 2-3 hour break inbetween lectures or tutes I'll go to the library for most of that time. Like some of the other girls have said it really helps if u r organised and stick to a tight schedule (and ignore the dirty floors for another few days lol). Good luck. It can be done but the timing has to be right for u so you can focus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to L.j For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It very much depends on what kind of student you are, and how much you work.

I did a lot of overtime in my insurance position, but it was not conducive to studying. At the same time I was hitting the ceiling promotion-wise due to not having a related degree behind me. I gave up working when I had DD to focus on being with her and studying full time.

I am motivated and study hard at first, but then I let it settle and put it into perspective before the final assessment/exam push. I find this helps with context in my exam answers.

Schedule wise, this means that I needed to dedicate big blocks of time at once, which was better for us because DP would take annual leave days during assessment/ exam time. For me, I thrive better under pressure.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    When I was undergraduate, I was a full time student Mon-Fri (4-5 units as I was doing a double degree) and worked one evening and both Sat & Sun morning. Tbh I hated it. When I started my Honours year I did some nannying 7-9 week day mornings and worked weekend mornings. That was much better as Honours was structured quick differently to undergrad. Now I'm a postgrad student part time and I do casual teaching working during semester which works out to be roughly 20hrs study/15-20hrs work over 4 days. Ds is almost 3.